The Smokies Aren't Just About Big Trees

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Re: The Smokies Aren't Just About Big Trees

Post by dbhguru » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:02 am

ENTS,

I have seen the event. It is a sight one can never forget. It reinforces for me the absolute need for preservation of places like the Smokies for the reasons alluded to in the article.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:41 am

I have never seen the Blue Fireflies. I would love to see them as described in the article.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:34 am

They are supposedly present in DuPont State Forest, very much in your neck of the woods, James, but I don't know where specifically.

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:38 am

WoW! But I don't think they will let you in at night.
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:46 pm

It's quite a fascinating show.... though I could do without the buses (literally) of tourists they bring in from Gatlinburg.

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:58 pm

The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is amazing in almost every way. Fortunately, you can actually avoid crowds of people if you know what you're doing and where to go. Avoid entering the park through Gatlinburg and Cherokee if at all possible. Backpacking is the best way to avoid masses of humans, as long as you steer clear of the Appalachian Trail, which itself is like a highway. I've been in the back country for as much as two days at a stretch without encountering any other humans except for my backpacking companions. You just have to choose the right trails. Stay away from Cades Cove which can be bumper-to-bumper traffic at the wrong time. I know for a while they were experimenting with keeping motorized vehicles out of Cades Cove at set hours on certain days, but I think they got too many complaints from lard-ass over-consuming lazy American tourists and discontinued that.

I've seen the synchronized lightning bugs in Elkmont.

One place where I rarely see heavy crowds that is also auto accessible is Cataloochee. Has the reintroduced elk herds. I get depressed when I go there, now, because of all of the dead hemlocks. But once upon a time the hemlock groves there were stunning.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:02 am

dbhguru wrote:ENTS,

I have seen the event. It is a sight one can never forget. It reinforces for me the absolute need for preservation of places like the Smokies for the reasons alluded to in the article.

Bob
I think we should find a time machine and all go back to about 1491, to Europe, to convince the Europeans to turn North America into an international park. No pale faces will be able to move there- but small numbers will be able to visit at at time, but only after being thoroughly fumigated for all diseases.
Joe

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:13 am

Joe, What a thought!!!!!
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

Return to “Great Smoky Mountains National Park”