Boogerman Pine update and other news from Catalochee

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Tyler

Re: Boogerman Pine update and other news from Catalochee

Post by Tyler » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:53 am

At least the Boog is alright. It will be interesting to see where it's current height stacks up against the tall tulips found this year.

Tyler

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:45 am

Tyler,

Using the last measurement of the Boog the difference is not much more than a foot. If no breakage has occurred the Boog may have widened it a little.

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

greenent22

Post by greenent22 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:59 am

Will Blozan wrote:Ed,

I think the chestnut was third growth- not old at all, maybe 35 years or so. Yes, the hemlocks are all but slaughtered now in 'Loochee. I saw individual big trees today that were treated (4X) in 2005, 2006, 2008, and 2009 that are now dead. I am beginning to think that the biggest hemlocks are unsavable once heavily impacted with HWA. Well, at least with imidacloprid. Dinotefuran has saved some big ones including the immense Cheoah Hemlock, now the sole Tsuga Search survivor.

Will
man i hate those damn pests
what i once thought to horrific to actually come to pass, has
it's bad enough what they have done in NJ (very horrific) but to lose the Smoky hemlocks is....

JHarkness

Post by JHarkness » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:54 pm

Will,

Apologies for posting on such an old thread, but reading through I was noting the similarities between the now dead, yet treated hemlocks with something I've witnessed here in New York State. The issue I've seen here is the elongate hemlock scale, it's far more widespread than HWA here and seems a lot more cold hardy, I remember a hemlock grove in the Catskills that had both EHS and HWA, the grove was treated with imidacloprid for HWA but not for EHS, it effectively killed the HWA, but most of the hemlocks in the grove died a couple years later, it got passed off that the treatment attempt had "failed", but the EHS was never acknowledged. I've seen mass hemlock mortality here with no HWA present, and I've identified countless sites in the area with EHS and high morality, I've mostly gotten my reports of the pest ignored by NY State because they "can't afford to deal with another pest" right now. Heck, while trying so desperately to stop HWA from getting into the Adirondack Park, they've allowed TWO EHS infestations to get established in the park, and they still haven't done anything. Supposedly imidacloprid does nothing to the scale, I'm not sure if that's true but it certainly seems to only affect them minorly, dinotefuran on the other hand knocks them out easily. Could this be the cause of some of the mortality there? One thing I've noticed is that the scale sometimes gets help from HWA, I've seen some groves fight off the scale on their own with only isolated mortality, but throw in a little HWA, even if it gets killed off by a cold winter a few years later, the scale will get a huge boost and start to cause mass mortality. It's such a shame that so few people know of this pest or what it can do, if one searches for "hemlock woolly adelgid" on Google, about half of the images returned have at least some scale in them, and about a quarter of them don't even have HWA in them.

Joshua Harkness
"Be not simply good; be good for something." Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Great Smoky Mountains National Park”