Spooner Live Oak- Iron City, GA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jess Riddle

Re: Spooner Live Oak- Iron City, GA

Post by Jess Riddle » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:46 pm

Eli,

Fantastic tree. Glad to hear about another giant from Georgia. Also good to see so much local appreciation, and I like your shots from all around the trunk.

Jess

John Harvey

Post by John Harvey » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:20 pm

Bob,
I have everything on the list except for the Monocular and I could order one anytime really, I've researched different models in the past. The math should be ok for me. Certainly no problem understanding the Sine method, spoke method, or the methods used for even a difficult tape wrap. As for the trainers...You, Will, Don, and Michael? It would be like having the 1992 men's Olympic basketball team helping me improve my jump shot...how could I go wrong? Do you guys utilize programs like Skype or Facetime?
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:59 am

John,

I have Facetime. Haven't used it, but am willing to.

As a few additional points, California is sooo important to the national big tree competition, and strangely, we have only one Cadre member, who as you know, is Michael Taylor. So, your entry would be very important. Maybe it would pave the way for others with talents to join us.

Debates here on the NTS BBS about methods for measuring trees and judging tree competitions are fun, and important, but in the end, have no official import. By contrast, as a member of the National Cadre, you would have lots of authority. Your measurements would be the official ones for any national candidate that you measured in California, or elsewhere if you agreed to cross state borders. I'm not sure this point has sufficiently sunken in for others who read our posts. The Cadre is THE official tree measuring arm of the AF big tree coordinator.

I'll be in Cooperstown, NY for the weekend, and largely out of touch. If you decide to go with us, maybe we can begin a serious dialogue next week by email. my official email address is dbhguru@comcast.net. My cell phone is 413-320-8894.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Don

Post by Don » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:29 pm

John-
I'm pleased that you've considered joining our ranks!

As Bob points out, in California the Cadre is just you and Michael now. It's good to hear that you're already a Sine Method advocate (in a way that is half the battle), and part of what you can achieve through your apprenticeship is the ability to explain and train others as you progress through the program.

If you like, I can put you in touch (or you could proceed on your own too) with Matt Ritter, the California State Big Tree Program Coordinator. He's a prof at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo...he's just completed a tour of selected California big trees with a dozen or two students, and might be a good ally. For contact info, go to AF web page, Big Tree Program, Big Tree Coordinators, California...

Bob has said it in several different ways, but I'll reiterate that the National Cadre is under the American Forests' Big Tree Program Wing, and ultimately it will be Bryant Smith, our National Big Tree Coordinator that "calls the shots" for Cadre members. I'm sure he looks forward to your successful apprenticeship. As do we! If any of us can be helpful, call upon us.

Both Bob and I are retired and check our emails regularly. Phones work, but we aren't always in cell. We've requested a dedicated list-serve through AF, but it's in process. The rest of the Cadre are spread a little thinner with family and work responsibilities, but are no less dedicated.
-Don
donbertolette@me.com
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

John Harvey

Post by John Harvey » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:38 pm

Don,
Thank you. I'm looking forward to being a part of the team. I have made visits to the CA Big Tree Program website a few times. I will reach out to Mr. Ritter and introduce myself. I wish the NJ website was maintained as well when I lived out east. I think there is potential for many new CA champion trees. Hopefully I can help and inspire others to go looking for them as well.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

mdavie

Post by mdavie » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:46 pm

FWIW, just found this video from last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3GSNEj-m8c

Return to “Georgia”