Georgia state champion Southern Live Oak

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

tclikesbigtrees

Georgia state champion Southern Live Oak

Post by tclikesbigtrees » Tue May 19, 2015 11:09 pm

Here is another stop on our Florida trip. I had wanted to see this tree in the past, but we were not able to. I was glad that we finally got to see it. It is the most amazing and impressive tree that I have ever seen. You can't help but stand in awe of it. The trunk is huge and the spread covers a big area. It is bigger then the Florida state champion and has branches that go to the ground all around the whole thing unlike the other. It is at Baptist Village, which is a retirement community in Waycross, GA. Here are a few pictures.
Attachments
IMG_6139.JPG
IMG_6146.JPG
IMG_6140.JPG

bbeduhn

Re: Georgia state champion Southern Live Oak

Post by bbeduhn » Wed May 20, 2015 7:59 am

On the Georgia Champion Tree site, they have the champion live oak at Baptist Village but they have a different tree referenced. The one they have is 420" cbh and is located next to a building. They're both beauties!

tclikesbigtrees

Post by tclikesbigtrees » Wed May 20, 2015 10:13 am

The tree that I posted pictures of is the tree on the Georgia big tree site. The picture that they have was taken at a different angle and probably was taken several or more years ago.

Tom

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Wed May 20, 2015 3:56 pm

Nice tree! Too bad it is multi-stemmed. Seems common in the species.

Will

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun May 24, 2015 6:41 pm

I've been meaning to get over to Waycross and measure the State Champ. From your photo it looks it looks like the tree has three trunks. It is still a very impressive Live Oak. Larry

John Harvey

Post by John Harvey » Sun May 24, 2015 7:51 pm

I've noticed the Coast Live Oak here in California is also oftentimes multi-stemmed. This one is about 20ft around but half of it is hiding on the other side of the fence. The bark of the Coast Live Oak is very strange. I'm still getting used to it. I definitely prefer a Valley Oak over a CLO. More like what I'm used to at home.
Attachments
Coast Live Oak Saratoga CP 19ft2in.JPG
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Mon May 25, 2015 7:31 am

Did you measure the southern redcedar next to it??? looks sweet!

tclikesbigtrees

Post by tclikesbigtrees » Mon May 25, 2015 4:59 pm

Here are couple pictures of the Redcedar to the left of the Live Oak. Also, multi-stemmed this or single-stemmed that, I don't care. That Live Oak is the most amazing tree that I have ever seen. If you look at a lot of Live Oaks, a high percentage of them will look like that.

Tom
Attachments
IMG_6153.JPG
IMG_6154.JPG

Return to “Georgia”