Post by edfrank » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:48 pm

Live Oaks on the Beach at Jekyll Island, GA
photo gallery by Randy Cyr

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/fieldt ... eckyll.htm
L8a_small.jpg
L8a_small.jpg (51.29 KiB) Viewed 632 times
L9b_small.jpg
L9b_small.jpg (30.79 KiB) Viewed 632 times
This is a nine image gallery posted on the NTS website. Please click on the url above to check it out.

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

jamesrobertsmith

Re: Live Oaks on the Beeach at Jekyll Island, GA

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:02 pm

I was born near there. We used to make the short drive to the beach almost every weekend. For decades it was just about the only place here in the south where you could count on seeing wild turkey. The dune fields have been steadily eroding over the decades. Partly because many dunes were bulldozed to make way for the construction of hotels and such. This exacerbated the natural movements of the barrier island. At one spot there I've noticed that the State went in and tried to recreate dunes by building them up with machinery and attempting to plant them with native shrubs and grasses. Not sure how well that's working out. The place is also packed with the invasive sand spur. Don't walk there barefoot.

Return to “Georgia”