Clear Creek Nature Preserve, Atlanta

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

eliahd24

Clear Creek Nature Preserve, Atlanta

Post by eliahd24 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:26 am

Just when I think I've tromped through every last exceptional urban forest in Atlanta, another one appears. Clear Creek Nature Preserve is over 50 acres of floodplain forest along Clear Creek, north of Piedmont Park in Atlanta, GA. It's owned by the Brookwood Hills Community Club and access is [somewhat] restricted. I stumbled upon this area b/c of a rumored "Civil War era" beech tree. Well on that first visit I didn't find any exceptional beech trees, but I did find what should be a state co-champion Shumard Oak. I contacted the green space owners and they welcomed me with open arms and encouraged further tree hunting, giving me unrestricted access to the forest. On valentine's day I was able to spend the afternoon tromping around the floodplain and was quite pleasantly surprised with the numerous exceptional tree including a state co-champ Sweetgum, a very large Sugarberry, a hybrid Q x beadlei and lots of decent sized Green Ash. One of these ash trees had fallen and was cut to reveal ~110 annual growth rings.
Here's the rundown:
Clear Creek NP trees_Page_02.jpg
-it should be noted that the 21' CBH Tuliptree is a double trunked specimen.
large beech
large beech
big/tall sweetgum
big/tall sweetgum
large t. creeper vine
large t. creeper vine
~Eli
Attachments
Clear Creek NP trees_Page_01.jpg

jamesrobertsmith

Re: Clear Creek Nature Preserve, Atlanta

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:07 am

I love seeing sweetgum trees in the forest during spring and summer. But of course I always hated having them in my yard. I don't think there's anything more frustrating than having to clean up all of those damned gumballs.

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:27 am

they're a pain (literally) if you've ever stepped on one with bare feet too!

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:44 am

Eli,

Nice report. I am thinking, in the interest of science, and since you and Bob seem to have already started the research, that you two should collect all of the seed pods that are pointy and sharp. Then do a double blind test of which ones hurt the most when you step on them in your bare feet.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:41 pm

I'll pass on that bit of scientific research.

lalacurf121

Post by lalacurf121 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:20 am

tree including a state co-champ Sweetgum, a very large Sugarberry, a hybrid Q x beadlei and lots of decent sized Green Ash.

Return to “Georgia”