Warwoman Road Update

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru, edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Warwoman Road Update

Postby Jess Riddle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:22 pm

After visiting Cliff Creek, we stopped to re-measure the state height record pitch pine, and the tallest Virginia pine ENTS has on record.  In March 2005, Will Blozan first spotted the trees, which grow in Georgia’s northeastern corner only a few yards from Warwoman Road.  Slightly above a sheltered section of Morsingills Creek, the pines grow in association with rhododendron, a few white pines, and an unremarkable forest of mixed hardwoods.

The Virginia pine showed little growth; due to a different positioning of mid-slope ground level, the 5’0.5” circumference is smaller than previously recorded, though for Virginia pine an unusual abundance of lichens on the trunk also seems to suggest slow expansion, and the height has increased only 0.4’ to 122.3’. Contrastingly, a good view of the pitch pine’s crown revealed that tree to stand six feet taller than previously measured, now an ENTS record 142.3’.  Similarly, the circumference appears to have grown from 7’7” to 8’0”.  An adjacent, tall looking shortleaf pine, supported by a 5’10” cbh trunk, likewise claims a state height record at 138.7’.  

GA height record PIVI PIRI.jpg

Height record pitch pine on the left and Virginia pine on the right (Will Blozan photograph)

GA height record PIEC PIRI.jpg

Height record pitch pine on the left and shortleaf pine on the right (Will Blozan photograph)

The three pines grow in a line less than 75’ long.  What makes this little patch of land such exceptional habitat is unclear, but the surrounding Chattooga River also supports the tallest known shortleaf and table mountain pines as well as the second tallest known white pine.  The pines benefit from extra light due to the proximity of the road, but that explanation seems insufficient given the lack of similar clusters along other local roads.

Jess Riddle & Will Blozan
Jess Riddle

Has Liked: 469 times
Has Been Liked: 291 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Warwoman Road Update

Postby Will Blozan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:58 pm

Jess,

Great descriptions of some awesome trees! I am still fascinated by this non-descript stand containing such records in a small area. BTW, in the first photo the tree on the right is the VA pine height champ, not the shortleaf. Sorry if I mislabeled them (CORRECTED WFB)...

The VA pine is likely losing more diameter via bark sloughing than it gains in new wood.

Will
Will Blozan

Has Liked: 854 times
Has Been Liked: 316 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Warwoman Road Update

Postby Jess Riddle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:39 pm

Will,

Thanks for the correction.  I new which tree it was, the message just got lost between my brain and my fingers.

Jess
Jess Riddle

Has Liked: 469 times
Has Been Liked: 291 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Warwoman Road Update

Postby eliahd24 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:20 pm

Did y'all get a spread on that VA pine?
eliahd24

Has Liked: 191 times
Has Been Liked: 113 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Warwoman Road Update

Postby James Parton » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:58 am

I tend to have a soft spot for Pitch and Virginia pines. I never know they could get so tall. It blew me away!
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
James Parton

Has Liked: 338 times
Has Been Liked: 96 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: Warwoman Road Update

Postby Will Blozan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:09 am

Eli,

2005 measurements were: max spread 39.4', AVG 32'; for the Virginia Pine= 191 Points. I have a 191 and 192 pointer in NC. I bet Jess has a bigger one. I found one in TN that scores 208 points but have no idea if it still stands.

Will
Will Blozan

Has Liked: 854 times
Has Been Liked: 316 times
Print view this post

#7)  Re: Warwoman Road Update

Postby eliahd24 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:58 pm

I think I've got a height competitor for that shortleaf in Fernbank Forest.  Need to remeasure it to make sure, but found a nested top about 138.  They should be state co-champs for total points too.
eliahd24

Has Liked: 191 times
Has Been Liked: 113 times
Print view this post

Return to Georgia