Live Oaks in Brunswick GA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

jamesrobertsmith

Live Oaks in Brunswick GA

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:28 pm

On my way back home from business in Florida (book tour) I stopped off in my horrible home town of Brunswick GA to take a few photos of the live oaks at the County Courthouse. One of the very damned few pretty things about Brunswick are the grounds of the old county courthouse. It's packed with ancient live oaks. Here are a couple. I was in a hurry and couldn't stay long. Measurements were out of the question:

Click on image to see its original size

Click on the thumbnails above to see a larger image.

James Parton

Re: Live Oaks in Brunswick GA

Post by James Parton » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:48 am

James S,

Nice oaks. They look possibly big enough to make the Live Oak Project. Larry will find them of interest, I am pretty sure of that. Where in Georgia is Brunswick anyway?
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:54 am

James Parton wrote:James S,

Nice oaks. They look possibly big enough to make the Live Oak Project. Larry will find them of interest, I am pretty sure of that. Where in Georgia is Brunswick anyway?
It's on the coast between Savannah GA and Jacksonville FL. One of the most horrible places you could ever find yourself. Pretty much a wreck of a place. There are lots of old live oaks scattered around the town, though.

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:04 am

I may be going to visit Savannah early next year. If not too far from there I might be able to get down there and measure those trees. They look impressive!
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:52 pm

Well, it's easy to find. Just drive to the county courthouse. The old one. Not the new one. Despite the fact that the city itself looks like a war zone, they have always been proud of the grounds of the county courthouse. It's a stupefyingly pretty spot. Especially when you compare it to the depressed and crumbling town that surrounds it.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:50 pm

JRS, Those are a couple of Beautiful Live Oaks. The first tree looks extremely tall and I love all the Spanish Moss. The second tree is at least 20" CBH. The Sentinel Oak is one of Georgia's largest. Its on my to do list. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=1550483 Georgia has many large Live Oaks I just haven't made the trip over to measure them yet. Larry

jamesrobertsmith

Old Courthouse Grounds, Brunswick GA

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:05 pm

Carole and I stopped in my hometown to take a few photos on our way home from Florida. The one spot in the city that is genuinely beautiful are the grounds of the old county courthouse. Here is a stitched panorama of one side of those grounds. It would probably be a good spot for some ENTS member to stop and take some measurements. I didn't have time. But there are some really nice oaks there.

edfrank

Re: Old Courthouse Grounds, Brunswick GA

Post by edfrank » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:07 pm

James,

Looks ike a nice collection of trees. The pan is kind of small though to see well. I am glad to see you are scouting out neat trees in your travels.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:41 pm

I don't know why that photo came out that way. I'll figure it out and post a larger version.

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:48 pm

Return to “Georgia”