The Lichgate Oak, Tallahassee, FL

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

The Lichgate Oak, Tallahassee, FL

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon May 24, 2010 9:51 am

ENTS, I measured another Live Oak in Tallahassee Florida over the weekend. The Lichgate Oak is a beautiful tree growing at 1401 High Road, Tallahassee Florida. The tree was protected by Laura Jepsen when she purchased the property in the 1955. The limbs on the oak drop to the ground in several places and make for a stunning apperance. CBH-22'3", Spread-144' x 136.5, and Height-62.1'. I've known about this particular Live Oak for a few years and decided it was time to make the 5 hour drive over to measure it. A couple of photos and a link about the Oak. http://lichgate.com/history.html Larry
Attachments
The Lichgate Oak 1
The Lichgate Oak 1
The Lichgate Oak 2
The Lichgate Oak 2
Last edited by Larry Tucei on Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Parton

Re: The Lichgate Oak, Tallahassee, FL

Post by James Parton » Mon May 24, 2010 11:33 am

Larry,

I am heading down to Panama City Fl in late June/Early July. I will look for Live Oak in the area. Do you know of any there?

I enjoyed reading the page on Lichgate that you attached. The tree is really awesome and it was great that Laura thought so much of it to buy the land so it could be preserved. I feel at least 90 percent of people take trees for granted and would only miss them if they were gone.

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon May 24, 2010 11:50 am

James, On the way down stop in at Waycross, Ga., if you can, there's one there that's huuge! In Panama City, maybe average Oaks but not huge. Geneva, Ala., also has a huuge Live Oak, its north of Panama City. Email me off list and tell me you route down. Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon May 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Larry,

The Lichgate Oak is absolutely gorgeous. It has such a commanding presence, but shows absolute grace and elegance. Way to go. Live oaks may well be our wicked coolest eastern species. Again, we owe it to you, LOL. We all also owe Laura Jepsen an eternal debt of gratitude for saving the tree. There's hope for our species so long as there are people like her.

Bob

P.S. For new members, LOL means Live Oak Larry.
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

aniftychic

Post by aniftychic » Thu May 27, 2010 8:16 am

I love the tree. It is so great what you are doing. One day I would love to travel and see the big trees. When my kids get older I may do that. Until then your photos give me a chance to see them. Thanks

Return to “Florida”