The Treaty Oak, Jacksonville, FL

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Hook

Post by Hook » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:58 pm

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 571&type=3

Click on image to see its original size
The Treaty Oak is an octopus-like Southern live oak (Quercus virginiana) in Jacksonville, Florida. The tree is estimated to be 250 years old and may be the single oldest living thing in Jacksonville, predating the founding of the city by Isaiah Hart during the 1820s.

The tree has a trunk over 25 feet in circumference, it rises to height of 70 feet, and its crown spreads over 145 feet, with twisting branches that bow to the ground and curl back up. The oak shades a roughly circular area, about 190 feet in diameter.

The name's origin is generally believed to be related to some local apocryphal stories about peace accords between Native Americans and Spanish or American settlers signed under its branches. In reality, the name was created by the Florida Times-Union journalist Pat Moran who, in an attempt to rescue it from destruction by developers, wrote an article in the early 1930s claiming a treaty had been signed at the site by native Floridians and early settlers and called it Treaty Oak. Prior to that, the tree was known simply as Giant Oak

jamesrobertsmith

Re: The Treaty Oak, Jacksonville, FL

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Amazing tree! I was born about 70 miles north of Jacksonville and we would spend a lot of time there when I was a kid. But I never saw that tree. Something to do on my next drive through that part of Florida.

gnmcmartin

Post by gnmcmartin » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:18 pm

Hook:

Thanks--this tree reminds me of what amazing things trees are, and how they come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. I am a lover of the tall, towering cathedral-like forests of Redwoods, white pines, and Norway spruce, but these Live oaks are a wonder. In my little office I have tree pictures all around me. One is of a line of live oaks arching over a drive, looking like an ocean breaker plunging onto a beach. What marvelous trees. I have seen the Angel Oak near Charleston, SC. I spent about 2 hours in wonderment under that tree, and I will never forget it.

--Gaines

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:44 pm

Hook, The Treaty Oak is a fantastic Live Oak and one of the larger trees in Florida. Thanks for posting it. Did you measure the tree? I've been meaning to make the drive over and document it. I found this link a couple of years ago. It is one of the larger Live Oaks in Florida. The tree was last measured in 2008. http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2X ... onville_FL Larry

Return to “Florida”