Sand Live Oak (Quercus geminata)

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Sand Live Oak (Quercus geminata)

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:35 pm

ENTS, I traveled to Northwest Florida this past weekend for some swimming and snorkeling. I stayed in Ft. Walton and snorkeled Navarre and Pensacola Beaches. While in Ft. Walton I noticed a Public Picnic and Boat launch on the southeast corner of the bridge on Hwy 98 that crossed the bay. The park had several Sand Live Oaks growing throughout the area. I didn't measure them but they were not over 30' high and around 6' CBH. Sand Live Oak is a beautiful species smaller but very similar to the Live Oak. http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/quge.html Some photos. Larry
Attachments
Pensacola Beach
Pensacola Beach
Navarre Beach
Navarre Beach
Sand Live Oak 3.jpg
Sand Live Oak 2.jpg
Sand Live Oak 1.jpg

jamesrobertsmith

Re: Sand Live Oak (Quercus geminata)

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:46 pm

Florida is packed with interesting trees. Even in overdeveloped areas with high rises you can almost always find some cool trees.

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:51 pm

Larry,

You missed a chance to add another species to your measurement belt. The national champion from American Forests:

Circumference: 193 inches
Height: 64 feet
Spread: 103 feet
Year Nominated: 1985
Nominator/s: Bob Simons
viewimage.php.jpg
From the photo it sure looks like a double to me.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Larry,

I got my first good look at Sand Live Oak last year at St. Andrews State Park near Panama City Beach. They were very pretty some what twisted little Live Oaks. Pensacola Beach is just a little west of Panama City Beach.

http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=1066

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:21 am

Ed, James, JRS, I see Quercus geminata all the time. I go to Fla., alot next time I'll measure some.We also have them here in Ms. I'll be on the lookout for some larger ones. Here is a nice one on Ono Island located at Orange Beach Ala. A muti-trunked specimen with hundreds of seedlings growing underneath it's canopy. Larry
Attachments
Quercus geminata on Ono Island near Orange Beach Ala.
Quercus geminata on Ono Island near Orange Beach Ala.
Quercus geminata leaves
Quercus geminata leaves

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:48 am

Larry,

They could be recorded on the Live Oak Project but the measuring criteria would be much smaller than that of Quercus Virginiana.
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:55 pm

James, Perhaps I should do a sub title- Sand Live Oak Project. Larry

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:46 pm

I guess it depends. Do you think the species is significant enough to include in the Live Oak Project?
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Larry, James,

Just because it is commonly called a Sand "Live" Oak should not be a reason to include it in your live oak listings. It is an entirely different oak species that only shares part of a common name. Your live oak listing in my opinion should focus on just the spectacular big live oaks Quercus virginiana.

As a group we have concentrated so far on the extent of four major species: White Pine (Pinus strobua) eastern Hemlock (Tsuga canadiensis) Live Oak (Quercus virginiana), and recently Tuliptree (Liriodendron tulipifera). To a lesser extent we are looking at American sycamores (Platanus occidentalis) also on a broader scale. These efforts stand out because of the magnificent specimens of trees that belong to these species. We are and should collect data on all of these other species of trees, but until something jumps out at us ...

Edward Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:31 am

Larry,

I'm embarrassed to say that sand live oak had completely escaped my notice. Cool little tree. What species compete with it?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Florida”