Winterthur Gardens measuring trip

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Will Blozan

Winterthur Gardens measuring trip

Post by Will Blozan » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:02 pm

ENTS,

Provided Earl doesn't shred the place I plan to do some measuring at Wintherthur Gardens Friday September 10th. I fly in in the morning and should have several hours free (weather permitting) to find the purported 187' tuliptree. Scott Wade has signed on and any other ENTS are welcome to join. Email me off-BBS with your phone numbers so we can coordinate timing and a meeting place.

Will

gnmcmartin

Re: Winterthur Gardens measuring trip

Post by gnmcmartin » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:33 pm

Will:

On a flat area above where there are some big tuliptrees not far up from the museum building (maybe not the same area where the really tall one is), they have some nice older oriental spruce--or they did about 15 years ago when I was last there. Also, they have a couple of nice Norway spruce "pendula' trees there. I think one is just outside the main entrance to the museum, and another is in the courtyard. If you get a chance, take a couple of pics. I, and maybe also Steve, would like to see them.

--Gaines

gnmcmartin

Post by gnmcmartin » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:02 pm

Correction:

The Norway spruce cultivars that I called 'pendula' in my previous post are instead 'inversa'. "Pendula" is not a proper cultivar name, but rather a form, indicated by f. before the designation. I think I have this right. If not, I am sorry--I am still a bit new to conifer cultivar study.

--Gaines

pabigtrees

Post by pabigtrees » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:44 pm

ENTS
Winterthur has been measured. I think Will and George had a great time. I am eagerly awaiting Will's post of the results. I refuse to steal his thunder on this one.................

Scott

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:12 pm

Scott,

Yes, George and I mopped it up after you unfortunately had to leave. I will post a report... I hope by this weekend.

Gaines,

Our trip focused mainly on the "native" forests and by the time we got back to the gardens it was late. I did measure some awesome P. torano but was not impresed by any P. orientalis or P. abies. Of course, I am focused on size, not cultivars- so your eye would see things differently. I would like to return to focus on the gardens someday.

Unfortunately, like virtually every other rich second-growth woodland in the east the site is overrun with damn earthworms and the soil ecology is trash. Exotics have replaced much of the native flora and tree decline is evident. Consequently the site is probably in decline and likely may never reach it's potential, like Montpelier, VA and Tanglewood Park, NC.

Will

gnmcmartin

Post by gnmcmartin » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:01 am

Will:

Yes, I understand. When I posted I thought it was unlikely you would have any extra time. I have not done much measuring yet--at some point I hope to have more opportunity--, but I have done enough to know that it is real work and takes a lot of time.

--Gaines

Return to “Delaware”