Images of our chief resident scientist

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Images of our chief resident scientist

Post by dbhguru » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:12 pm

ENTS-WNTS,

I continue to organize my hefty collection of images from my recently concluded trip to the Rocky Mountain West. Here are 3 images of Lee Frelich at Chimney Rock east of Durango. We dated a number of large, old pinyon pines while at Chimney Rock. Lee's help was crucial in the effort. A report is forthcoming from Wnt Laura Stransky. The first image shows Lee with WNTS President and long time buddy of mine, big Don Bertolette.
LeeAndDonChimneyRock.jpg
The second image shows Lee with our WNTS hostess, Laura Stransky who had just retired from the U.S.F.S.
LeeAndLauraChimneyRock.jpg
The last image shows Lee sitting on a limb of a huge pinyon pine.
LeeAndPinyonPine-ChimneyRock.jpg
We would have liked to have stayed longer and cored more trees, but a storm was brewing. Here is a look at what caused us to cut our project short.
CRStormBrewing2Small.jpg
Bob

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Re: Images of our chief resident scientist

Post by James Parton » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:20 pm

Bob,

It looks like a beautiful area they are in and Lee looks official in his boonie hat!

JP
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:28 am

James,

In his home territory, that hat is what Lee uses to fend off Minnesota mosquitos (somewhere between pony and horse-sized critters), protect himself from Minnesota-sized hail (larger than a grapefruit and smaller than a watermelon), and survive forest fires (consume Massachusetts-sized areas). Don't know how he gets it to do all that, but Minnesotans have special powers. Seriously, Lee was absolutely great -- invaluable to the interpretation of the growth forms and in assisting Laura with the coring. I just wish we'd had more time.

Yes, the area is beautiful. Here is a look at the spot we were exploring for old pinyons. Lots there. I wish we'd had more time. But we spent our time on the return trip at a delightful little spot that features barbecue and all sorts of cobblers. Now, I was very reserved and only nibbled a little of a scrumptious mixed fruit cobbler. But you should have seen Laura, Randy, Lee, and big Don. Man, did they put away barbecue and cobbler. It's good to eat moderately as I do. Wanna hear another one?
PinyonCountrySmall.jpg

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:48 am

Bob,

My hat also has proven useful at times. For keeping insects off my head and neck, sun protection and of course rain ( I treated two of my hats with a water resistant spray ). I don't go into the woods or fishing without one. Lee must have one of those armored models, the battle boonie!

Did they not eat any pine nuts with that barbecue and cobbler? Dang, barbecue and cobbler sounds good. I'm getting hungry......
Attachments
Boonie_Tag.jpg
Boonie_Tag.jpg (74.46 KiB) Viewed 3255 times
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “Colorado”