Lobo Lookout

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Lobo Lookout

Post by dbhguru » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:10 am

ENTS,

From the Great Sand Dunes, we headed west across the San Luis Valley on U.S. 160 and into the San Juans. The highway climbs to Wolf Creek Pass at about 10,840 feet above sea level. From Wolf Creek, a dirt road winds up to Lobo Lookout at 11,750 feet - as best my GPS could determine. Lobo is right at timber line. The Continental Divide Trail runs across the summit. The timber line in southern Colorado is between 11,500 and 12,000 feet. The following four images give an idea of the view. Most of the trees are Englemann spruce. This is the snowiest place in Colorado for which weather records are kept. The average snow fall is between 400 and 500 inches per year. The maximum was 837 inches. According to locals, the snow pack was deep up until the first of June. It then turned very hot and the snow pack was gone within two weeks.
LoboLookOut2Small.jpg
LoboLookout3Small.jpg
LoboLookout4Small.jpg
MeltingSnowsSmall.jpg
Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: Lobo Lookout

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:16 pm

Bob, Wow! Fantastic scenery! Such a lush valley. You guys are having way to much fun! Keep the photos coming they are great! Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:49 pm

Larry,

Here are a couple more for you, buddy. The first is of a mule deer at the Dunes.
MuleDeerSmall.jpg
The next one you're sure to recognize. The 73-mile drive from La Junta to Walsenburg gives one the opportunity to watch the Spanish Peaks grow in prominence on the horizon. By the time you're passing by them on U.S. 60, if you haven't fallen in love with those sacred mountains, you don't belong in Colorado. I'd bet you fully concur.
WestSpanishPeakSmall.jpg
Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:53 am

Bob, Yes I agree 100 percent. I stayed just northwest of Trinidad near blackhawk ranch for 10 days in 2000 and again in 2008. The sunsets, sunrises and wildlife were fantastic with breathtaking views everywhere. The Sangres and San Jausns are Awesome! I climbed, explored many places and loved every second of my adventures. I thought about buying some land out that way someday. This part of Colorado is a very special place! Larry

Marcboston

Post by Marcboston » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:04 am

Mountains in the summer.....you gotta love it. Bright blue skies, golden sunsets, big ole trees! What else would you want.

Return to “Colorado”