tallest flowering plant of California

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

tallest flowering plant of California

Post by M.W.Taylor » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:57 pm

After processing some LiDAR for Southern California I have found a patch of trees that are 230-250' with the tallest at 247.5'. Being that the ground is flat and the LiDAR set is 9 years old it is doubtful the software estimate is inflated. This tree could be over 250' now. See attached height ramped images. Red is 220' and white is 240'. These are without any doubt Eucalyptus Globulus. What is the tallest known Eucalytpus in the USA ? I have not heard of anything over 250' anywhere. It seems possible there might be some over 250' south of SLO.

Michael Taylor

WNTS VP
landmarktrees.net
Attachments
tallest globulus CA4.jpg
tallest globulus CA3.jpg
tallest globulus CA2.jpg
tallest globulus CA1.jpg

John Harvey

Re: tallest flowering plant of California

Post by John Harvey » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:57 am

Nice find. The tallest Eucs I have been able to find in the Bay Area/Santa Cruz are up to 231'. Even 200' seems to be somewhat exceptional here. I know Zane found one over 240'. There are a ton of tall Euc patches I know of but no Lidar that far inland and many are on private property across Monterey, Santa Clara, and San Mateo counties.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Larry Tucei

Re: tallest flowering plant of California

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:51 pm

Michael- That 3D Lidar is Badass!! Larry

Return to “California”