Northern California Redwood Forests - Not That Old?

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

gnmcmartin

Re: Northern California Redwood Forests - Not That Old?

Post by gnmcmartin » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:35 pm

And lots of Bangladesh will be underwater, and some important places all over the globe. If this is inevitable, I don't think we should be speeding it up. But some say that based on other factors, the earth could otherwise be in a mild cooling trend.

--Gaines

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:13 pm

http://www.merrittherald.com/dyer-will- ... n-survive/

"In other models, the planet’s people (creatures? beings?) delay switching the energy sources for too long. They all switch in the end, but the laggards still don’t make it. The population starts to fall, then appears to stabilize for a while, then rushes downward to extinction. Nobody saw that one coming, but it’s what the models are telling us."
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:17 pm

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... ge-731440/

"The White House now says we might as well pollute because global catastrophe is inevitable"

Trump is the orange Nero?
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

MarkGraham

Post by MarkGraham » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:14 pm

According to NASA, global temperatures have increased about 8 degrees Fahrenheit since the end of the most recent ice age 12,000 years ago. During this time period humans have expanded and flourished, but it must be noted this change happened over thousands of years. If there is a 7 degree Fahrenheit increase in only a hundred years time there will be catastrophic refugee crises as large populations need to move away from the ocean fronts. Large populations will also be affected by larger and more frequent tropical storms. More ocean areas will become sterile, disrupting food chains.

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:31 am

MarkGraham wrote:According to NASA, global temperatures have increased about 8 degrees Fahrenheit since the end of the most recent ice age 12,000 years ago. During this time period humans have expanded and flourished, but it must be noted this change happened over thousands of years..
You may have discovered a hidden gem here Mark !!

If humans have flourished with some extra warming, maybe a hint more warmth is exactly the medicine humans need !! Seeing trees like the carbon, and if humans flourished, maybe extra carbon and a bit more warmth is a better recipe than some may imagine.
M. D. Vaden of Oregon = http://www.mdvaden.com

200 Pages - Coast Redwoods - http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

Portraits & Weddings - http://www.vadenphotography.com

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:50 am

Ents,

If we must stray into the climate issue and the associated human role, as a species, we have environmental and climate impacts on a massive worldwide scale that no other animal can even remotely approach. Can anyone deny that? So, now a benefit to our environmental indifferences could be a continued warming climate that allows us to further over-populate? Seriously? There are always consequences to severe over-population by a species, but our apparent ingenuity at staving off global disaster so far has been more a matter of pushing the disasters onto other animal species and less fortunate humans such as indigenous populations in Alaska, South Sea Islanders, etc. That's just the start, though. Ain't a pretty future. I see no way to put the genie back in the bottle.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

pattyjenkins1

Post by pattyjenkins1 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:15 am

I have asked Ed to move this climate change discussion to its own thread. I for one do not want to be reading junk from deniers in different threads every time I open up the digest. It's bad enough that I have to see and hear this crap every day on the news.

To be even more blunt, if this conversation is in its own thread, then the deniers can talk among themselves while the rest of us return to science.

Patty
Patty Jenkins
Executive Director
Tree Climbers International, Inc.
Get High / Climb Trees

JHarkness

Post by JHarkness » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:21 pm

Mario,

I strongly disagree, if human caused climate change continues at it's current rate, eastern hemlock, red spruce, balsam fir, sugar maple, paper birch and pin cherry, all dominant species in my area (in everything from early successional forests to upland old growth forests), will largely, if not completely vanish by the end of the century, and that's not considering that several of these species are faced with extinction as it is from human introduced pests. Not to mention species like beech, chestnut and white pine that face fungal threats that will get worse with a warmer climate. There is absolutely no way that our planet will be better off if we continue polluting it and raising it's temperature. By no means would this be better for humans either, a warmer climate means more numerous and more intense diseases, take ticks and lyme disease in my area, twenty years ago we'd hardly ever see a tick here, our -30F winters ensured that few would survive, now most people in my area consider 5F ABOVE zero "cold", and when it does dip below zero it's usually announced by the media as "record breaking cold", the result is that if you take a walk in a mowed lawn here now you're likely to get a couple dozen ticks on you and are just as likely to get a case of lyme disease, and it's not just limited to lyme and ticks. Ignoring diseases, if you're truly right that a warmer climate would be better for humans, that means that we'll continuing polluting and destroying our planet at an even faster rate than we are now, so that means in the short term we can make more "progress", but in the long term, we'll kill ourselves and countless other species.

Joshua
"Be not simply good; be good for something." Henry David Thoreau

Return to “California”