Super tall Eucalyptus trees

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

John Harvey

Super tall Eucalyptus trees

Post by John Harvey » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:47 am

Originally I was going to include this on the post here ( http://ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=6906 ) but I decided to make this a separate thread. It becomes easy to overlook tall trees that aren't redwoods when your in redwood country so I've committed myself to seeking out species I've been overlooking, such as the Ponderosa I posted about this week. About a year and a half ago I was perusing big and tall Eucalyptus and having a lot of fun doing it so I've revived that interest.

So today the family and I took a walk through a local park and lo and behold some eucs, as are pretty much everywhere. As soon as I got closer I could tell these were special trees. It is a grove of between 30-50 mature trees with the largest volume specimen being 22'4" cbh X 186' tall. The special thing about this grove is not the size of the trees however but the heights. These are now the tallest broadleaf trees I have ever found/measured. The two tallest in the grove are approximately 230' specimens. Almost every mature tree in this grove exceeds 200'. The trees are very close together and the canopy is very crowded. Zane Moore has sorted through the LIDAR and it doesn't seem there is anything taller in this grove. My two best measurements were 230' and 235', the LIDAR reads 227.5'. I'm confident with the first tree, the second tree I believe I hit a branch from another tree that may have been closer or uneven ground at the base. Both trees rank toward the top of tallest known Eucs in California and the grove as one of the taller ones but fall a little shy of any record.

Anyhow some photos...I captured the pictures about an hour before sunset and the grove looked exceptionally beautiful.
Attachments
22'4" cbh X 186' tall
22'4" cbh X 186' tall
DSC04326.JPG
DSC04338.JPG
DSC04334.JPG
DSC04332.JPG
DSC04298.JPG
The stream that runs between
The stream that runs between
DSC04310.JPG
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Larry Tucei

Re: Super tall Eucalyptus trees

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:03 pm

John- Wow those are really tall trees! These would have been planted in the mid to late 1800's right? If so really fast growers! Great finds! Larry

wisconsitom

Post by wisconsitom » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:59 pm

Yes, some amazing heights for N. American-dwelling angiosperms. Awesome work.

John Harvey

Post by John Harvey » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:45 pm

Thanks guys. Yes Larry, I believe the trees are about 130-150 years old. The park they are in was a ranch that was founded in 1866. I'm not sure when the trees were planted though.

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:59 pm

Excellent work John,

I remember on a visit to the San Francisco area visiting a local park and discovering that there were no mature trees in this roughly 30 acre park other than eucs.
We have quite a few planted eucs in Central America, and they have essentially displaced all native trees in some mountain areas of Peru, however, I think I'll hold off on measuring eucs here until I get through documenting the 232 known and possible emergent tree species here in Costa Rica. 31 down and 201 to go.

John Harvey

Post by John Harvey » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:59 pm

Thanks Bart would be curious to see how tall they get down there. The taller tree I measured here ranks somewhere around the 9th tallest known hardwood in the US. I'm betting there are quite a few really tall ones not yet found though.

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:52 pm

OK John, I'll try to keep track of where the biggest ones are. Will and Jess were wondering about some as we drove up in the Talamanca high Mountain range. Frankly I haven't seen too many that had really big girths, but if I see any conveniently close to the road that seem decent size, A straight up 440 shot couldn't take too long. You have to understand that I am strongly prejudiced in favor of native species. I am hoping to get a new confirmed and measured native emergent on Feb 23rd with my Costa Rican friend Rodney in the Juan Castro Blanco National Park. Rodney scoped out the site which is about a 2 hour drive from here. The quarry is Mexican Elm Ulmus mexicana in supposed old growth forest.

yofoghorn

Post by yofoghorn » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:16 am

First Eucs in CA were planted ~1850.
Zane J. Moore
Plant Biology PhD Student
University of California, Davis

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Post by M.W.Taylor » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:25 pm

Maybe we need another 100 years before those E. Globulus reach 300 feet. Has anyone seen a mature E. regnans in California ? I planted a few regnans in my back yard and they grew so fast I had to cut them down after only a few years. I have heard they grow exceptionally fast in the SF Bay area.

yofoghorn

Post by yofoghorn » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:23 am

I don't know about any E. regnans. I wouldn't know how to identify them, necessarily. E. globulus is always the tallest on my mind. I predict that in fewer than 100 years, a few groves of E. globulus should make 300'. These are the groves where they're competing with redwoods, Douglas firs, and the hillsides for maximum light. What kills them? I've seen some attacked by ivy, but I'm not sure if that kills. Frost is another factor, right?
Zane J. Moore
Plant Biology PhD Student
University of California, Davis

Return to “California”