Old Growth Redwood Photos

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

MaxF

Old Growth Redwood Photos

Post by MaxF » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:41 pm

Hi NTS BBS.

As an introductory post I'd like to share some of my old growth redwood photography.

I'd like to re-shoot a lot of these locations since upgrading to a full frame DSLR, but I'm unfortunately too far away to make weekend trips these days. Though, I will be taking a couple of extended trips up to RNP for off-trail exploration toward the end of the year. If the rhododendron bloom is decent in 2015, I'll be back up to shoot that as well. If I have any new photos worth sharing, I'll add to this thread.

Cheers!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80371710@N05
Last edited by MaxF on Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Harvey

Re: Old Growth Redwood Photos

Post by John Harvey » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:37 pm

Max,
I've seen some of your work on google earth images before and I've always enjoyed it. Keep up the good shooting.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

MaxF

Post by MaxF » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:50 pm

Thanks, John. Even though I kept the image titles vague and placed pins away from the actual locations of the un-mapped groves, I've since removed them from Google Earth.

John Harvey

Post by John Harvey » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:20 pm

Ill add to this post by showing how much of a redwood junkie I am, without looking at your captions you have photos of the following trees....

Mother of the forest, father of the forest, the Montgomery Giant, DelNorte Titan, boy scout tree, Bull Creek Giant, Arco Giant, Sir Issac Newton, Drury Tree, Howland Hill Giant, the screaming titans and elviejo . The last photo in the fifth row is an unnamed tree found on Prarie Creek Trail not far from the visitors center and is 57' CBH. Those are the ones I can ID from seeing them, the rest I'm not sure. Damn I'm an addict.

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

MaxF

Post by MaxF » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:24 am

Good eye, John. Monarch is pictured twice (albeit a bit incognito). The bases of Iluvatar and Atlas are also in there. Some of the others shot along the alluvial plain south of Bull Creek may have names, but I don't know them.

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:44 pm

Recently I've been using my Canon 85mm f/1.2 more for some redwood photos.

Tonight, I've been looking at Sigma's 18-35mm f/1.8 zoom as a potential forest and portrait lens for my 60D. Hear it works on full frame at 28mm and 35mm too with minimal vignetting. And probably correctable in Lightroom.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon = http://www.mdvaden.com

200 Pages - Coast Redwoods - http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

Portraits & Weddings - http://www.vadenphotography.com

John Harvey

Post by John Harvey » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:25 am

Max,
I also have images of titans posted on various websites like MonumentalTrees.com and either do not mark a location or I place the location/marker on the visitor center of the park specified. I adamantly believe (as I believe you and Mario Vaden do) that the beauty and wonder of these trees should be shared via photography and at the same time specific locations kept vague for their protection. I look forward to more shots from you and Mario. In your opinion, what is your favorite park to photograph?

MaxF

Post by MaxF » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:55 am

Mario, I really like the stuff you've been shooting with the models. Your photography continues to improve and inspire me. I'm shooting with a Canon 6D these days. Absolutely love this camera since upgrading from a Canon T2i last year. Lenses I generally use are the Canon 24-105mm f4/L, 17-40mm f4/L, and 70-300mm f4-5.6. Most of my redwood shots were taken with a not-so-great Tamron 18-270mm on the T2i.

John, I couldn't have said it better. As a whole, my favorite park to photograph so far has been HRSP. Even though it doesn't have the rainforest feel of northern Humboldt County/Del Norte County, it's my favorite redwood park overall. The Grieg-French-Bell Grove in particular for sorrel paradise. I've had some really great wildlife encounters with bobcat, otter, deer that have allowed me follow them around for half a day. If someone twisted my arm, I might say that the alluvial plain south of Bull Creek is my favorite place on earth.

John Harvey

Post by John Harvey » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:39 am

I agree. The flats around bull creek are, in my opinion, the greatest forest on earth. Sure it doesn't have the diversity of Jed Smith, Prairie Creek, or Olympic national park, but its almost the lack of the rainforest feel that makes it so impressive. There isn't a ton of undergrowth and this contributes to the cathedral like appearance in some places. Many of the trees still have that attractive red tinge not commonly found to the north and it has an awe factor that's unparalleled because of the fact that its the tallest canopy on earth. Not to mention an abundance of 40'+ cbh trunks.

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:54 pm

MaxF wrote:Mario, I really like the stuff you've been shooting with the models. Your photography continues to improve and inspire me. I'm shooting with a Canon 6D these days. Absolutely love this camera since upgrading from a Canon T2i last year. Lenses I generally use are the Canon 24-105mm f4/L, 17-40mm f4/L, and 70-300mm f4-5.6. Most of my redwood shots were taken with a not-so-great Tamron 18-270mm on the T2i.

John, I couldn't have said it better. As a whole, my favorite park to photograph so far has been HRSP. Even though it doesn't have the rainforest feel of northern Humboldt County/Del Norte County, it's my favorite redwood park overall. The Grieg-French-Bell Grove in particular for sorrel paradise. I've had some really great wildlife encounters with bobcat, otter, deer that have allowed me follow them around for half a day. If someone twisted my arm, I might say that the alluvial plain south of Bull Creek is my favorite place on earth.
RE my earlier reply, I picked up the Sigma 18-35mm and it does vignette on full frame at 35mm more than suggested. Since it's designed for a crop sensor, it will work fine on my Canon 60D.

I also started with the Canon T2i and very much enjoyed it. Almost bought a T4i last summer.

About Bull Creek Flats or Humboldt RSP ... at first it didn't impress me as much as Jed or Prairie Creek. But the past couple of years it's grown on me and it may be my new favorite place to shoot stands of redwoods.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon = http://www.mdvaden.com

200 Pages - Coast Redwoods - http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

Portraits & Weddings - http://www.vadenphotography.com

Return to “California”