Tallest Tree South Of SF Bay Confirmed

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Tallest Tree South Of SF Bay Confirmed

Post by M.W.Taylor » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:18 pm

I finally measured the tall redwoods Zane Moore reported from Big Basin State Park a few months ago.

With the help of Zane, his father Steve and Big Basin park ranger Susan Blake, I came up with 327.39 (99.7m) feet for the tallest and 323.8 feet for the nearby 2nd tallest redwood which grows in the same grove. I measured to under the duff layer at the tree's base. Zane went to above the duff layer. The prism/pole with Impulse200LR "leap-frog" survey was used. The numbers were not added up until the very end. The window to the top was from way up on a nearby hill. Judging by the attached picture I hit the true top of the trees. I used the same window Zane found and used earlier where he got 326.8 for the tall one. This grove also has other trees over 300 feet. It was very dark and shady in there. Seemed to be rather dense forest for the soutern range.

The tallest redwood or any tree of any species known to grow south of SF Bay (the region considered the southern range for the species) was Old Tree at 305 feet. Centurion, a eucalyptus regnans in Tasmania was 326.9 feet (99.6 meters) when last measured by Steve Sillett by direct tape drop a few years ago. Centurion could be taller by added growth since the 2007 measurement, but this is not yet confirmed.

As usual, Zane continues to shatter tree height records.

Zane's spot-on measurements for these two redwoods would indicate to me that his other tree height measurements are accurate too.

Michael Taylor
WNTS VP
American Forests California Big Trees Coordinator
http://www.landmarktrees.net
Attachments
the two tallest known redwoods of Big Basin. Picture by Zane Moore
the two tallest known redwoods of Big Basin. Picture by Zane Moore
Last edited by M.W.Taylor on Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will Blozan

Re: Tallest Tree South Of SF Bay Confirmed

Post by Will Blozan » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:00 pm

Michael and Zane,

Just incredible finds and confirmations. Zane is truly a gifted tree spotter and measurer.

Will

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:06 pm

Michael,

Congratulations to both you and Zane. I hope Zane considers himself part of WNTS, because in him, we have a young super star.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Post by M.W.Taylor » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:50 pm

Update:

Steve Sillett and Jim Spickler climbed the tall redwood in Big Basin State Park recently. Their direct tape drop measurement was 100.01 meters, or 328.12 feet. Zane and I missed the very "tippy" top of the highest leader, which was obscured a little from our view. Nevertheless, we got fairly close to Steve's direct tape drop measurement. His interpretation of ground level was a little lower than ours though.

This redwood is the only known 100m southern population redwood (those south of San Francisco) and the only known 100m+ tree south of 38 degrees latitude. Centurion, a eucalyptus regnans in Tasmania was last measured at 327.6 feet in 2006. This tree may, or may not be over 100 meters now.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:54 pm

Michael,

Thanks. Splendid. Congratulations to Zane, you, and now Sillett. I presume Steve was pretty happy with Zane's find.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Ral

Post by Ral » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:48 pm

Would it possible to see some more photos of these two redwoods at Big Basin, is it possible to see them from a distance photo or are they too tightly hemmed in by other trees? Is it likely that any other 100 metre or taller redwoods may yet be found somewhere in Big Basin State Park? Any other very tall tree species growing in Big Basin?

yofoghorn

Post by yofoghorn » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Ral wrote:Would it possible to see some more photos of these two redwoods at Big Basin, is it possible to see them from a distance photo or are they too tightly hemmed in by other trees? Is it likely that any other 100 metre or taller redwoods may yet be found somewhere in Big Basin State Park? Any other very tall tree species growing in Big Basin?
It would be very unlikely that there are taller trees in Big Basin Redwoods State Park. Almost the entire remaining old growth area in Big Basin and in Portola Redwoods has been searched. Tallest redwood in Big Basin is 100 meters and the tallest trees in Portola are 93 meters. There are fewer than 500 acres left of old growth on private property in the Santa Cruz Mountains that has yet to be searched. Most trees in Big Basin top out around 70 or 75 meters. Only 14 trees south of San Francisco are known to attain a height of 90 meters.

The tallest tree in Big Basin is 540 years old, is the smallest by volume 100 meter tree that Sillett has climbed, and is the fastest tree known to grow from 0 to 100 meters. For example, Hyperion took 800 years to reach that height. The tree is in an unlikely area and the location will not be disclosed to the public due to the tree being on a very steep slope and a lot of erosion potential.

To answer your question about tallest trees in Big Basin: the tallest Douglas Fir is just over 82 meters, discovered by Will Blozan in 2008. The second tallest tanoak in the world is also in Big Basin. It is just over 48 meters tall. I discovered that tree. The world record tanoak is 49.3 meters tall in the Forest of Nisene Marks State Park. Those are the main tall tree species in Big Basin. The other trees are not nearly as tall in the park. Tallest bay trees are 31 meters, where the world record for California bay laurel is 51.6 meters in Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park.
Last edited by yofoghorn on Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zane J. Moore
Plant Biology PhD Student
University of California, Davis

Rand

Post by Rand » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:27 pm

Is that black on the trunk charing from a fire? Any idea how old it is?

yofoghorn

Post by yofoghorn » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:18 am

Rand wrote:Is that black on the trunk charing from a fire? Any idea how old it is?
It is 540 years old. The most recent fire burned it in 2010 or 2011. It was a controlled burn.
Zane J. Moore
Plant Biology PhD Student
University of California, Davis

tomhoward

Post by tomhoward » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:54 am

Awesome trees! I have to get back out to the Redwoods! It has been too many years since I last was there.

Tom Howard

Return to “California”