Another Super Sized Plumas NF Sugar Pine

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Another Super Sized Plumas NF Sugar Pine

Post by M.W.Taylor » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:47 pm

Found yesterday with Duncan Kennedy in Plumas National Forest. The top was likely blown out by recent microburst. This tree was probably 82m-83m at its peak. Many recently fallen trees are present in area.

Species: Sugar Pine
Dbh: 8.3'
Height: 79.25m (260.0')
Estimated Trunk Volume: 4,500 cubic feet
Attachments
CIMG6182-b.jpg
CIMG6179-b.jpg
CIMG6169-b.jpg
CIMG6173-b.jpg
CIMG6172-b.jpg

ElijahW

Re: Another Super Sized Plumas NF Sugar Pine

Post by ElijahW » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:11 am

Michael, Duncan,

Congratulations on finding another big Sugar Pine. It’s a bummer that you didn’t get to see the tree’s top intact. Is the broken off trunk in the foreground of the first photo an Incense Cedar?

Elijah

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Post by M.W.Taylor » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:23 pm

Thanks Elijah, The broken trunk tree is an incense cedar. Many of them in the area were snapped in two

DAKennedy

Post by DAKennedy » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:00 pm

That was a fun trip, and I'm looking forward to returning to that corner of the PNF to find more trees like it. I did take a pretty bad tumble while we were trying to get to another tree later that day and tweaked my neck, shoulder and arm catching my fall and it took me until a few days ago to fully recover.

Rotted logs and small creeks are no joke, people.

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:16 am

Duncan,

In the Smokies, I stepped on a very round boulder, immediately went horizontal and landed on my outstretched arm. I thought for sure I had shoulder and hand injuries. Somehow, I was fine with some residual hand pain for the next few weeks. Most of my falls are simple butt slides but every now and then...

Brian

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Post by M.W.Taylor » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:00 am

DAKennedy wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:00 pm
That was a fun trip, and I'm looking forward to returning to that corner of the PNF to find more trees like it. I did take a pretty bad tumble while we were trying to get to another tree later that day and tweaked my neck, shoulder and arm catching my fall and it took me until a few days ago to fully recover.

Rotted logs and small creeks are no joke, people.
Duncan, I "torqued" my shoulder in the same area where you got "hammered". That place is a death trap !

Return to “California”