Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Lucas

Great Bear Rainforest agreement creates 'a gift to the world

Post by Lucas » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:24 pm

Click on image to see its original size

Click on image to see its original size

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=ch ... st&tbm=nws

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3426034

The Great Bear rainforest comprises an area of approximately 64,000 sq. km, much bigger than either Belgium or Denmark, with the majority now permanently protected from logging.

http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2016/02/03/cana ... tion-deal/
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Joe

Re: Great Bear Rainforest agreement creates 'a gift to the w

Post by Joe » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:53 am

Lucas wrote: The Great Bear rainforest comprises an area of approximately 64,000 sq. km, much bigger than either Belgium or Denmark, with the majority now permanently protected from logging.
Too bad most of the logging in that area was poorly done- because if they had done good work, few people would have objected- and that region could have continued to contribute to the WOOD NEEDS of the public, in a way that wouldn't have caused erosion or ugly vistas. But, since that area, like most logging everywhere is poorly done- logging is demonized as something that CAN'T be done right- like some kind of disease- that must be stopped. It's unfortunate because, among other reasons, logging will continue in other countries that don't care about erosion and loss of biodiversity- and, the price of wood will go up- then when that happens, everyone will accuse the lumber industry of thievery.

What enviros should do- is instead of trying to lock up millions of acres, they should fight to force industry to do better work- not easy, I know, since I've been battling the "timber beasts" here in Mass. for decades- as Bob Leverett surely knows, since he's seen thousands of my emails addressed to the forestry "leadership".

Forestry is a great thing- it must be done right- it's got to be done SOMEWHERE- it might as well be done in North America.
Joe

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:55 am

Joe wrote:
Lucas wrote: The Great Bear rainforest comprises an area of approximately 64,000 sq. km, much bigger than either Belgium or Denmark, with the majority now permanently protected from logging.

What enviros should do- is instead of trying to lock up millions of acres, they should fight to force industry to do better work- not easy, I know, since I've been battling the "timber beasts" here in Mass. for decades- as Bob Leverett surely knows, since he's seen thousands of my emails addressed to the forestry "leadership".

Forestry is a great thing- it must be done right- it's got to be done SOMEWHERE- it might as well be done in North America.
Joe
The loggers could have cleaned-house on their own. Since they are not, I think the environmentalists are taking a reasonable path.

Also, I don't have a problem with wood prices rising. I work around a lot of homes and quite a few people don't care for their wood products properly, or use excess because its relatively cheap for basic lumber.

Wood decks 3 times the size they need come to mind. Especially since those need replacement every so many years. A lot of homes could get by with a smaller deck that fits the need, or even concrete paver blocks that are more or less permanent.
M. D. Vaden of Oregon = http://www.mdvaden.com

200 Pages - Coast Redwoods - http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

Portraits & Weddings - http://www.vadenphotography.com

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:35 am

Here in Mass.- when I've promoted improvements in forestry laws- the enviros never backed me up. They need to support the good foresters and loggers. We need to earn a living too- and forest owners need to be able to earn some money on their investment. As for public land, I don't care if it's all locked up. If private forest land were managed intelligently, it could produce all the wood the nation needs. Though you don't mind higher wood prices- vast numbers of Americans are low income and they don't like more expensive wood.
Joe

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:04 pm

Joe,

The truth is, most people, especially the wealthy don't like expensive anything. That said, my belief is that generally low income people suffer more because some powerful economic and political forces are designed to keep these folks at a low income, rather than because of a high price for a particular commodity.

In Costa Rica, logging is not permitted at all in National parks, or in several other categories of forest reserves, however, on farms with small wood lots, or scattered trees between coffee plants, a large proportion of the wood is harvested for the local markets. Though many species do poorly on plantations, these mixed species wood lots and scattered diverse species mixes on farms do quite well. The people here are also learning more and more about growing trees effectively on this private land. There are still plenty of problems, like organized crime poaching some of the most valuable and rare species from preserves, however I think overall, this tiny country does pretty well.

Devin

Post by Devin » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:08 pm

I agree with Joe for the most part, good forestry is a beautiful thing. Wood is one of our greatest resources and should utilized, and in terms of carbon sequestration and land use is FAR better than concrete or steel. Mining is by far the worst degrader of the environment. I consider myself an environmentalist but enviros can be just as ignorant and one-sided as conservatives.

Our wood demand in this country is only going to grow, and like Joe said, the wood needs to come from somewhere. Our importation of wood has far surpassed our exportation, much of which comes from countries that do not have regulatory agencies, environmental assessments, or any oversight towards sane forestry practices at all. http://www.arlis.org/docs/vol1/A/233598164a.pdf Much of it is logged illegally with absolutely no respect towards the local environment. We want our wood cheap, and we want our beautiful forests, and as long as we get it we turn our back on where this wood actually comes from. Meanwhile the forests in developing countries get raped. Domesticating our wood products is a good thing. As a developed country we have the knowledge, resources, and technology to implement solid forestry practices and reduce our wood products deficit, reduce the pressure/demand from foreign countries, and boost our economy; all while ensuring that the wood we use is harvested correctly and sustainably.

I also agree with mdvaden, many logging companies are not doing their part and corporate greed ruins everything, so sometimes extreme measures must be taken before the powerful take initiative themselves. In todays world, land needs to be allocated towards everything. Some land should be set aside only for logging, some should be enacted as wilderness and never touched at all, and some should be used for development. But most land, if done correctly can be mixed-use with consideration towards recreation, wildlife, and plant habitat, all while incorporating healthy logging practices.

Don

Post by Don » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:19 pm

Devin-
I am in agreement with much of what you have said, but must suggest that the worst degradation to our planet's environment is the bottom trawling fisheries that are devastating our oceans. A hidden resource extraction that has remained too much out of our awareness...
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Return to “British Columbia”