Fallen national champion shortleaf pine

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

DonCBragg

Fallen national champion shortleaf pine

Post by DonCBragg » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:49 am

It is with some sadness that I must report the national champion shortleaf pine from Ashley County, Arkansas, has been broken off in a recent windstorm at about 40 feet in a recent windstorm. It has one very small live branch remaining green, but I do not expect this tree to survive long in this condition. I have attached a few pictures of this fallen giant--it is clear from the final photo that the combination of redheart (a fungal disease of the heartwood) and a strong wind were too much for this champion. The same windstorm felled a number of other large loblolly and shortleaf pine in the Levi Wilcoxon Demonstration Forest, a small remnant old-growth pine stand.
Though the sign says only state champ, this was the national champion from 2006 on, and had a sine height of 136 feet and circumference of 113 inches.
Though the sign says only state champ, this was the national champion from 2006 on, and had a sine height of 136 feet and circumference of 113 inches.
You can see the one small green branch still remaining...
You can see the one small green branch still remaining...
The ultimate cause:  redheart plus wind
The ultimate cause: redheart plus wind
I believe the landowner is looking to salvage the wood from this and the other trees that fell over, but seems willing to work with my research unit to get the scientific value we can from these trees. So, I'll try to get a number of wood samples and make sure to get ring counts. If they cannot find some mill to buy these very large logs (a distinct possibility), I'm going to encourage them to make them into a display or donate them as a display for a local museum (or just see if they won't leave them on site as coarse woody debris).

I will probably start searching this stand later this fall to see if I can't find a new champion shortleaf!

bbeduhn

Re: Fallen national champion shortleaf pine

Post by bbeduhn » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:09 am

It's like we've lost an old friend when one of these champs falls. I never saw this shortleaf but knew of it. Any guesses as to the age? Pool? I'll go with 194 years.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Don- What a drag! I know you'll find another one to take its place. Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:21 pm

Don,

Good to hear from you although the news you bear is sad. With climate change accelerating, I expect that we will increasingly see the loss of the larger, older trees. How are things going with you these days?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

DonCBragg

Post by DonCBragg » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:31 pm

Bob--I am well...the new gig with the Journal of Forestry eats up a lot of my free time, but has been interesting, to say the least. Still plugging away with old-growth-related work, and still occasionally get my laser out to measure some tree heights...

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:36 pm

I will take 195. (Strategy from The Price Is Right)
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Arkansas”