Andrew Jackson Live Oak, Daphne, Alabama

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Andrew Jackson Live Oak, Daphne, Alabama

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:12 pm

NTS, I've been doing some research lately and came across an old photo from 1905 of the Andrew Jackson Live Oak that I first measured back in 06. This was the first Live Oak I ever measured. The great trees measurements in 2006 were CBH-29' 6", Height-81' and Spread-148'. It still is one of the tallest Live Oaks I've ever measured and ranks #15 of 201 Live Oaks. Its quite an impressive Oak. I thought the comparison of the photos from the two time periods was interesting. I wish I new the measurements in 1905. I have found many old photos of several of the Live Oaks I've measured over the years and will post on those later. Photos of the Andrew Jackson Oak from 2009, 2006 and last but not least 1905. Larry
Attachments
Andrew Jackson 2009
Andrew Jackson 2009
Andrew Jackson Oak 2006
Andrew Jackson Oak 2006
Andrew Jackson Oak 2.jpg
Andrew Jackson Oak 3.jpg
Andrew Jackson Oak 1905
Andrew Jackson Oak 1905

edfrank

Re: Andrew Jackson Live Oak Daphne Alabama

Post by edfrank » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:50 pm

Larry,

if you were measuring and photographing Live Oaks in 1905, I think you should be further along on your list by now. But I must admit you are pretty spry for your age.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Larry Tucei

Re: Andrew Jackson Live Oak, Daphne, Alabama

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:50 am

Ed, I hear ya. The more I explore the past the better I understand the present. Its amazing to me how many huge Live Oaks have been cut down over the years for urban sprawl. The funny thing is after mature trees are cut down smaller ones are planted back. However much of this practice was a few decades ago. I've noticed in say the past 10 years or so mature trees are being spared and many times construction projects take great care to protect them. Its about time people have relized mature trees play a most important role in the scheme of things. NTS has some of the greatest tree people I have ever met and I'm sure proud to be part of it. NTS rules! Larry

dbhguru

Re: Andrew Jackson Live Oak, Daphne, Alabama

Post by dbhguru » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:25 am

Larry,

The Andrew Jackson oak is a beast, but ah, what a lovely beast. Great job as usual. Your words

The more I explore the past the better I understand the present.

ring true for most of us. In terms of the cuttings versus the plantings, it is a sign of the times, people indulging their shortcut side. If I plant a tree in place of a tree that occupied the same ground for 300-years, I've some how made things okay. It is having one's cake and eating it too, as the saying goes.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Alabama”