Mobile Ala., Murphy High School Oak

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Mobile Ala., Murphy High School Oak

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:34 am

NTS, While in Mobile on Saturday I located another big Live Oak growing in the front of Murphy High School at 100 South Carlen Street. The tree is very similar to the Wallace Oak in Biloxi; they both have the same limb patterns, only this tree is much smaller. The tree measured CWH-20’, Height-51', and Spread-94.5' x 127.5’. The Oak is near the bottom of the listing but still is a beautiful tree with lots of character in the 150-200 year old range. Murphy high was built in 1926 and is still in use today. The Campus has several Oaks in the 16-18' CBH range but this was the largest tree. The listing is now at 170 trees. Larry
Attachments
Murphy High School Oak Trunk
Murphy High School Oak Trunk
Murphy High School Oak
Murphy High School Oak

edfrank

Re: Mobile Ala., Murphy High School Oak

Post by edfrank » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:27 pm

Larry,

Congratulations. This is another fine Live Oak to add to your collection.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:00 am

Thanks Ed, I really enjoy doing this and know of many more big Live Oaks. The listing is at 170 and rising. Larry
Attachments
Live_Oak_Project.xlsx
(21.42 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:08 am

Okay Larry, 'fess up. Where did you find that 4-inch-tall, look alike midget to pose for you under that bush? 'Fess up. Enquiring minds want to know. Hey, any more of them midgets, maybe one that looks like this feller I know up in Massachusetts?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:31 pm

Bob, I know both you and Will have been using smaller images of yourselves with trees for years. Now you even got Monica doing it. I thought why not give it a try and see if they catch on to it. I posted several Live Oak reports while you've been on the great western trail check them out when you get time. I know how much you enjoy the Live Oak. Larry

Return to “Alabama”