Pinecrest Cemetery Mobile Ala

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Pinecrest Cemetery Mobile Ala

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:40 pm

ENTS, Mobile Ala., has many Live Oaks throughout the city and some are quite large. I have been doing some research on the Louisiana Live Oak society listing and noticed these two located at Pinecrest Cemetery. A beautiful Cemetery located in southeastern Mobile. The listing has several registered trees at Pinecrest but these are the two largest. The first tree I did #2519, is George Washington Carver Oak. This tree is multi-trunked and had been braced between the two trunks some years ago. Without this one of the trunks would have split from the great stress at its base. The tree measured CBH-27’, Height-54’ and Spread-114’ x120’. The second Live Oak I measured at Pinecrest Cemetery was #2520 on the Louisiana Live Oak Society listing. The Abraham Lincoln Oak is a fantastic tree with a huge crown overgrowing Dauphin Island Parkway. The trees spread would be much longer but it has been trimmed back some. The Oak is a massive tree with a beautiful and large crown. I had to climb over the fence at the trunk to measure this great Oak. Some of the limbs were 4’ Dia. and the tree had a dominating but tranquil appearance. The tree measured CBH-25’2”, Height-75’ and Spread-123’ x 126’.
Attachments
Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln Oak 2.jpg
George Washington Carver
George Washington Carver
George Washington Carver Oak 2.jpg

tbauma1

Re: Pinecrest Cemetery Mobile Ala

Post by tbauma1 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi Larry, is there an age on the Washington Carver tree #2520?

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:30 pm

I would estimate around 150-200 years. The Cemetery was founded in 1906 and I would guess it was an old Homestead before that when these large Oaks were planted. Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:07 pm

Larry,

#2520 is a beaut. I expanded the photo to get the full effect. It was. Holy #^*+ moment.

BTW, what criteria is used for a tree to be listed by the Louisiana Live Oak Society?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:46 pm

Hi Bob- I looked it up to be sure- To obtain membership to the society, one must have a girth of 8 feet or more and one must be an oak. The organization began with 43 members chosen by Stephens. Today, there are 6,276 members in 14 states registered with the organization, which is under the direction of the Louisiana Garden Club Federation Inc. The only human member of the society is the honorary chair, currently held by Landry, who registers the trees. So we could have tens of thousands of Live Oaks in this size range on the list. I believe the listing should only contain the larger Live Oaks like Dr. Stephens original 43 trees they were all large. Just my view. Our Native Tree Society Live Oak Listing has only the best of the best. A updated Listing-
Live_Oak_Project.xlsx
(28.25 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Larry

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:24 am

Larry,
There was a post from last year that you must have missed with some whoppers. It also has updated figures for the big Middleton Oak.
http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f ... eton+place
Brian

Return to “Alabama”