Untranslatable Words

Trees and forests as they relate to and are depicted in art and music.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

PAwildernessadvocate

Re: Untranslatable Words

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Sat May 03, 2014 6:32 am

guymeilleur wrote:I'm going to Sweden in 2 weeks to learn Veteran Tree Management, and hope to experience that concept of the earth belonging to all who respect it. No time to go nort: any good spots between Goteborg and Lynkoving/Stockholm you'd recommend?
I've never been there myself, but Omberg, along the east shoreline of Vättern, is definitely on my bucket list:

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 26rls%3Den

That's a link to a translation of a Swedish-language WikiPedia page, so the translation is a little rough in places, but you should be able to get the gist.

Omberg is not that far north off of the E4 if you're going to be driving between Göteborg and Stockholm. It would not be much of a detour at all.

Other things worth seeing nearby Omberg include the Rök Runestone and the Tåkern nature reserve (luckily I have seen both of these places already):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rök_Runestone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tåkern

Edit: I don't think the system likes the URLs containing the Swedish-language characters ö and å so you might have to copy and paste the links for Rök and Tåkern into your browser manually.
Last edited by PAwildernessadvocate on Wed May 07, 2014 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Sun May 04, 2014 6:47 pm

Guy,

The first place that pops into my head is the Baltic island of Gotland which you take a ferry to from several port cities. You can take a train from Stockholm to the Ferry landing. On Gotland, going to ‎Fårö is nice and another island, Stora Karlsö, where the rookeries for thousands of razor billed auks and guillemots are found along with many species of orchids. You can leave for Stora Karlsö from Klintehamn. This island is entirely a nature preserve of about 2.5 square km. It is beautiful and magical, and is the oldest known nature preserve next to Yellowstone. Sweden is not the place for giant trees, though I love it dearly. Noodle around on google for info on this and if you want I can put you in touch with Swedish friends who live in Norrköping. My Friend Bengt Cete was an official guide on the island of Stora Karlsö in his younger days. One more thing on Gotland is the walled city of Visby. Visby was a trade center in 900 AD though there is evidence it was inhabited from the stone age. The wall was built in the 1200's.

guymeilleur

Post by guymeilleur » Sun May 04, 2014 9:09 pm

Thanks guys; good tips. i'm actually more into gnarly old trees than massive trees.

Though I do love both!
Guy Meilleur, ISA Board-Certified Master Arborist, www.historictreecare.com

Managing trees for size, longevity, and benefits

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Mon May 05, 2014 9:31 am

Guy,

Here is a link to one of the many gnarly old oak trees on Gotland and also suggest you consider Folhammar coastline area. If you google folhammar gotland I think you will find the "images" interesting.

http://lifecruiser.com/archive/ava-oak- ... lace-1741/

PAwildernessadvocate

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Wed May 07, 2014 9:59 am

F.Jakobsson wrote:Having grown up with Allemansrätten, the signs NO TRESPASSING, POSTED and KEEP OUT (seen in California) made and make a very hostile impression on me.
Would any of you ever consider entering a property having any of the above signs?
Let’s say you needed to ask for directions, or something similar.
Fredrik
Hej Fredrik,

I've done it a few times before (entered posted lands), but only under a special set of circumstances, very briefly, and it made me feel uneasy to do it. Usually I just respect signs like that. Don't wanna rock the boat I guess.

Tack så mycket!
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

PAwildernessadvocate

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Wed May 07, 2014 1:32 pm

P.S. Here's a better website for Tåkern (click the British flag icon for an English-language version):

http://www.takern.se

Return to “Art: General Discussions and Philosophy”