Brachychiton sp. Ormeau

Discussions of trees, forests, trip reports and site descriptions of other locations in Australia and New Zealand.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Urgent research for rare trees at Ormeau

Postby edfrank » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:48 pm

Urgent research for rare trees at Ormeau
October 26th, 2011
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/10/26/360355_gold-coast-news.html

Stockland has contributed $20,000 to a research program to learn more about the endangered bottle trees at Ormeau. Pic: Supplied

A RARE bottle tree found only at Ormeau is under threat but urgent research is being conducted to try and save the species.   About 200 bottle trees have been found including one 35m tall and estimated to be up to 200 years old.  Ormeau Ridge deveoper Stockland has shelled out $20,000 for a research program to learn more about the endangered trees with the hope of increasing their numbers.  continued...

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 869 times
Has Been Liked: 641 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#2)  Brachychiton sp. Ormeau

Postby edfrank » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:19 pm

Brachychiton sp. Ormeau

http://veterantreegroup.blogspot.com/2011/12/brachychiton-sp-ormeau.html

Friday, December 16, 2011

For about 15 years there have been local environmentalists and botanists in the Ormeau and Gold Coast region of SE Queensland trying to tell people about the unique little bottle tree growing down there which was not (as many had thought) a hybrid but in fact a seperate species. I write little because the only ones I have seen were small despite having semi mature characteristics....apparently the tree will reach 30m in its preferred habitat of remanat rainforest  Ormeau Bottle Tree - very little of which is left in the Ormeau region.

continued...

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 869 times
Has Been Liked: 641 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

Return to Australia and New Zealand