Tasmania's 10,500-year-old stand of Huon Pine

Discussions of trees, forests, trip reports and site descriptions of other locations in Australia and New Zealand.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Tasmania's 10,500-year-old stand of Huon Pine

Post by edfrank » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:31 pm

The oldest tree
Graham Lloyd
September 10, 2011 12:00AM
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/fe ... 6130673929

Click on image to see its original size
AT least two miracles have saved Tasmania's 10,500-year-old stand of Huon Pine - the world's oldest clonal tree - from destruction.

Discovered in 1995 by forestry worker Mike Peterson, the ancient Huon Pine has marched its way over more than a hectare, down a hill towards the Lake Johnston glacial lake, reproducing genetically identical male copies - clones - of itself. While the oldest individual tree or stem on the site now may be 1000 to 2000 years old, the organism itself has been living there continuously for 10,500 years.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

jamesrobertsmith

Re: Tasmania's 10,500-year-old stand of Huon Pine

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:46 pm

Tasmania's a very strange place. I hope to get there before I croak.

Marcboston

Post by Marcboston » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:09 am

I thought the Pando grove is older than this stand?

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:49 am

Marc,

You posted one of the slide shows by Rachel Sussman on the world's oldest living things. There were a number of clonal colonies older than 10,000 years shown in that series or other ones posted in response. Pando may be the oldest tree-clone-colony but these Huon Pines are still pretty cool.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

JustinBrown

Post by JustinBrown » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:57 am

Wow! What a beautiful tree. It is such a miracle!

Don

Post by Don » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:50 pm

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
In my read and viewing of the video, I felt like I needed more than the claims made there, and hope to contact "the scientists..." that the narrator referred to.
For one thing, they mentioned a 3500 year dendrochronological match which is a fairly solid way of proving continuous occupation, but in fact, not one had all those years intact. There was reported to be another kind of pine that was a 1000 years old, presumably based on increment boring evidence.
I think the recent (in the big picture, less than 50 years I'd say have folks been talking of aging clones, which at best are estimates/extrapolations) spate of clones need to compete with each other, and separately from living trees. You know, like apples and rutabagas...
-don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Return to “Australia and New Zealand”