Height measuring in Peninsular Malaysia

Discussions of the great trees and forest of Southeast Asia and the East Indies

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: Height measuring in Peninsular Malaysia

Postby Bart Bouricius » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:32 pm

Darrin,

Thanks for the image.  On another subject, I noticed you have a species Pterygota alata listed at 45 m height.  Interestingly my tallest measurement in Costa Rica is of a species of the same genus Pterygota excelsa from Carara National Park at 64.5 m (211.5').  Though there seem to be less than 20 valid species in this genus, they are spread globally throughout the tropics, where they are found as native species, rather than introductions.  This genus is in the Malvaceae family, which includes such icons as the Kapok Ceiba pentandra, native to Latin America, and the various Baobab species (genus Adansonia) of Africa.  I just wonder if the species you measured can get much taller?
Bart Bouricius

Has Liked: 108 times
Has Been Liked: 298 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: Height measuring in Peninsular Malaysia

Postby Shorea » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:16 am

Bart, I am not too sure how tall they can grow, but in Taman Negara, the tallest and biggest Pterygota alata we saw was the one at the resort grounds. Unless Kouta saw others....

I may have seen bigger ones in the past with name tags on them; the local name "Kasah" is not too uncommon around here. I do think this tree can get above 50 m tall, although it's listed as being maximum 45 m tall, on this page, https://florafaunaweb.nparks.gov.sg/spe ... px?id=3097
Shorea

Has Liked: 6 times
Has Been Liked: 32 times
Print view this post

#13)  Re: Height measuring in Peninsular Malaysia

Postby Bart Bouricius » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:58 am

Thanks Darrin,

I will say that frequently I find trees in Costa Rica and Panama that I have measured at 10, 20, or even 30 meters taller than their maximum listed height, so don't assume those "maximum height" statements are close to accurate.  Ironically, in the US, the maximum height claims are more often exaggerations rather than underestimates.
Bart Bouricius

Has Liked: 108 times
Has Been Liked: 298 times
Print view this post

#14)  Re: Height measuring in Peninsular Malaysia

Postby KoutaR » Mon May 08, 2017 5:21 am

Bart,

Tree Flora of Malaya, Vol. 2, by Whitmore says Pterygota alata is "Very big tree to 50 m tall, 360 cm girth."

Kouta
KoutaR

Has Liked: 76 times
Has Been Liked: 232 times
Print view this post

#15)  Re: Height measuring in Peninsular Malaysia

Postby Shorea » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:47 pm

https://www.rainforestjournal.com/taman ... onal-park/

Here's my blog post on our Taman Negara trip. It's taken me a while to get it up.

If you ever visit Taman Negara, taking the boat ride up the broad Tembeling River is the best way to take in the grandeur. Both left and right of the river present stunning views. Many of the emergent trees are over 60 meters tall, and they are everywhere...

There are only very few places left in the whole of South East Asia where you can zip on a speedboat up a river (broad enough like this) and see the original intact lowland rainforest as it should be. Taman Negara is one of these few places left.
Attachments
tembeling-scenery.jpg

For this message the author Shorea has received Likes - 3:
bbeduhn, mdavie, Will Blozan
Shorea

Has Liked: 6 times
Has Been Liked: 32 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Southeast Asia & East Indies