Barred Owls

Accounts of wildlife and wildlife encounters.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Mark Collins

Barred Owls

Post by Mark Collins » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:20 am

Click on image to see its original size
A couple of Barred Owls in Hendy Woods, CA 6-15-12.

Jenny

Re: Barred Owls

Post by Jenny » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:37 am

Mark,

What a great shot and great experience to see the 2 of them up there. Maybe you see them all the time, but I'm jealous of this down here in NYC!

Jenny
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

pattyjenkins1

Post by pattyjenkins1 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:01 am

My guess--recently fledged. Sweet!
Patty Jenkins
Executive Director
Tree Climbers International, Inc.
Get High / Climb Trees

Mark Collins

Post by Mark Collins » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:17 pm

Jenny, I bet these owls would love the chance to sink their claws into some NYC rodents. Patty, I think you are right. I talked to the ranger after my hike and showed her the pictures. The ranger said that there was a family of barred owls that had just moved into one of the redwood groves nearby, and she thought that the mother owl may have been taking the young ones for a tour of the main grove. There were three owls on the limb, but one (maybe the mother?) flew away before I had the chance to capture the picture. These guys looked really curious, and it was fascinating watching them move their heads around as they were listening to other birds whistling in the canopy overhead.

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:05 am

I see Barred Owls occasionally in my neck of the woods. I also see the little Screech Owls. I wanna see a Barn Owl. I have heard them but have never got a good look at one in the darkness.

Owls are awesome birds!
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Mark, Really cool photo of the young Owls. I have a story to share about Barred Owls. Back in the mid 1980's I was hunting in the Pascagoula River Basin and as I walked along an old road I noticed something moving in the brush about 5' off the ground. I was a hundred yards or so when I first noticed the movement. As I got closer I relized it was a large Barred Owl 18" tall with a limb line tangled in his wing that had him tied up in the branches of a small tree. A limb line for those of you who don't know is a nylon line with a hook on one end tied to a lower limb of a tree overhanging the water used to catch fish. I guess the Owl got the fish and hooked himself and flew off with the line and later got tangled up distance from the water. He allowed me to cut the line and carry him 1/4 mile to my truck. I met up with my brother and he held him while we drove the 20 miles back to town. We brought him to a local vet who removed the hook treated and later released him. It was an experience I will never forget. The most amazing thing about the whole ordeal was that I didn't have my knife with me when I came accross him so I had to chew the nylon line with that Owl less than a foot from my face. He never once felt threatened by me and I was inches from his claws. I spent over two minutes chewing that damn line. I always loved Owls and was glad to be able to help one. He was one beautiful large Owl. Larry

Mark Collins

Post by Mark Collins » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:09 pm

Wow Larry, amazing story, thanks for sharing...

Return to “Wildlife and Wildlife Encounters”