white deer

Accounts of wildlife and wildlife encounters.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Re: white deer

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:05 pm

Joe, I remember this from a couple of years ago. I would love to see some of those. One of my buddies sent it in an email. Thanks for reminding me of them they are so beautiful in that color. Another friend of mine sent me some photos of a black deer, it is stunning! Larry
Attachments
ATT00434.jpg
ATT00437.jpg
ATT00431.jpg

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:15 pm

These off color deer are news to me- good thing I know before I see one in the wild, because if I did see one without knowing, I might freak out or think I'm having a flashback!
Joe

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:16 pm

BTW, I forgot to say- NICE PICTURES!
Joe

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:50 pm

It's a good thing that they're protected. Otherwise they wouldn't last two hunting seasons. Most of the hunters I know will blast a piebald or white deer the second they see one.

There's a retired military base in NY state, I think, where the white deer inside the base were protected because the officers didn't want them shot. Now that the base has been decommissioned it's anybody's guess how long they'll last.

I've never seen a melanistic deer before. Those are very cool shots.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:37 am

jamesrobertsmith wrote:It's a good thing that they're protected. Otherwise they wouldn't last two hunting seasons. Most of the hunters I know will blast a piebald or white deer the second they see one.

There's a retired military base in NY state, I think, where the white deer inside the base were protected because the officers didn't want them shot. Now that the base has been decommissioned it's anybody's guess how long they'll last.

I've never seen a melanistic deer before. Those are very cool shots.
Which reminds me- I was channeling surfing the other day, once I upgraded my cable TV service, and came across a channel where a couple of guys were watching a tiger- not sure where it was, they were admiring it once they found it up a tree- I assumed it was some eco show- until all of a sudden I heard a shot- it was one of those crazy hunting programs- when the shot occured, the camera was focused on the tiger up in the tree- the shot was perfect, and the tiger fell to the ground. They ran over to it- saying- "oh, lookie, ain't he pretty!" I almost puked. I'm not against hunting- it's just that kind of stupidity that I hate. I can't imagine that hunting tigers is legal anywhere in the world but it must be. Maybe it was a "problem tiger" who ate some natives, but hey, you can't blame the tiger for wanting to eat some plump, tasty native!
Joe

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:51 am

That's okay. Soon it won't be able to happen anymore because in a decade or two there won't be any tigers. Or lions. In two generations most of the Earth's megafauna will be nothing but digitized images and photographs in books that kids can look at.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:30 am

jamesrobertsmith wrote:That's okay. Soon it won't be able to happen anymore because in a decade or two there won't be any tigers. Or lions. In two generations most of the Earth's megafauna will be nothing but digitized images and photographs in books that kids can look at.
well, maybe it's time for the eco folks to turn militant for just such reasons--- I haven't seen any eco component to the occupy movement---
Joe

Chris

Post by Chris » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:08 pm

Joe wrote:well, maybe it's time for the eco folks to turn militant for just such reasons--- I haven't seen any eco component to the occupy movement
Earth First! in the past and ELF now kind of fit the mold....

I personally haven't seen much environmental component to occupy protests. Mostly global climate change or Keystone XL pipeline related, rather than say, biodiversity. And given how much flack they have been given about have gotten for not have super clear objectives......

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:42 am

There was a article in the Missouri Conservationist about some hunter killing an albino baby deer. They said it wouldn't make through the winter. MY A@@! There was a pic too. The only thing I wanted to was take the hunter's gun and hit over the head with it as hard as I could.
Trees are the Answer

Return to “Wildlife and Wildlife Encounters”