Tree climbing snakes!

Accounts of wildlife and wildlife encounters.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

eliahd24

Tree climbing snakes!

Post by eliahd24 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:50 pm

Last summer I had the great experience of seeing a black racer climb vertically up the furrowed bark of an old tuliptree in an old section of forest on the campus of Emory University here in Atlanta, GA. Quite amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8MEwIEyS5E

James Parton

Re: Tree climbing snakes!

Post by James Parton » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:48 am

Back in May 2007 when I first hiked the Boogerman Loop in Cataloochee Valley I took this photo of Joy up against this big dead tree. When I got back home and took a look at the photos I spied the big Black Rat Snake on the side of this tree only a few feet from Joy's head! I yelled for her to take a lookie-see and when she did she yelped! She's quite afraid of snakes while I have no real fear of them, only a healthy respect. Neither of us saw the snake when I took the picture.
Attachments
Joy and Cataloochee Blacksnake!.JPG
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:00 am

I don't have a digital photo but I had the same experience in Black Mountain, NC, a few years bat. A black rat snake was also on a tuliptree, though a much younger tree. It climbed up rectangularly, squaring off its body. It was about ten feet up.
Brian

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:31 am

I'm less surprised to see a snake up in a tree- than I was one day while kayaking a local lake to see a snake swimming in front of the boat. For a few seconds I was so shocked I didn't know what it was. I still don't know what species it is- but, I had no idea that snakes could swim! I've later learned that this is not uncommon and some snakes are found swimming in the ocean!
Joe

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:47 am

Joe,

Snakes are good swimmers. Species like the Common Water Snakes and Cottonmouth always live near and spend a lot of time in the water. I have seen Northern Water Snakes catch fish!

Sea Snakes are often completely marine with the exception of Laticauda, which spends a bit more time on land. Their venom is among the most toxic of any snake.
Attachments
Water Snake_Davidson River.JPG
Water Snake_Davidson River 2.JPG
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:19 pm

As much as I like practicing forestry- I should have become a biologist so I could focus on the magnificence of nature rather than how to exploit it.

I'm sure some people are afraid of all snakes and I would be if confronted by a dangerous species- but if they're not dangerous they're fascinating to watch. Makes me think of the snake charmers in old India.
Joe

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:28 pm

I've definitely seen a few snakes swimming in the pond in Fernbank Forest too. Quite surprising the first time you see it!

Return to “Wildlife and Wildlife Encounters”