Tree Maximums - Genus of the Week: Abies (fir)

Matt Markworth

Re: Tree Maximums - Genus of the Week: Abies (fir)

Post by Matt Markworth » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:56 am

Hi All,

Here's the link to Larry's original post on the big Balsam Fir. The link I provided in a previous post was just the photo, but not the actual post.

All of the links to original posts are in a column on the Tree Maximums List for easy reference. There is also a column on the spreadsheet with links to the Tree of the Week post for that species, which is an easier way to find them alphabetically compared to looking through the Tree of the Week forum.
Balsam Fir CBH-6'6", H -87.9', Spread-43'
balsam fir.jpg
http://www.nativetreesociety.org/fieldt ... county.htm
Matt

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:39 am

Hi All,

Here's the link to Will's original post on the big Fraser Fir. The link I provided in a previous post was just the photo, but not the actual post.
"This small conifer grows in dense forests on the highest peaks in NC, TN and north to southern VA where they then hybridize and transition to balsam fir (Abies balsamea) further north."

"The harsh near-alpine environment where they grow and lack of older, dense stands simply cannot produce tall trees. This is due to most forests being very
young, as they have regenerated from massive kills due to the introduced balsam woolly adelgid. The largest trees are hence relic old-growth trees that survived the initial wave of BWA."

"The first tree I measured turned out to be the largest I would see all day. It was a whopping 6'10" in girth and the twisted top reached 40.1'. Not a bad start!"
fir_crown.jpg
lower_trunk_fir.jpg
http://www.nativetreesociety.org/fieldt ... to_sea.htm
Matt
Last edited by Matt Markworth on Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Climbatree813

Post by Climbatree813 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:49 am

Bad - ID on my part. Sorry to those who liked the post.
Last edited by Climbatree813 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Climbatree813

Post by Climbatree813 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:35 pm

EDITED * I removed the paragraph here due to the following comment which I now agree with. Wow I am screwing up the ID's lately. I use a native species guide most of the time and I hit one that is a non-native and I trip up. I guess it is part of the learning process. Sorry for the fake numbers on this one. It does leave me curious though. Depending on the age of these they are in an ify spot for any tree. The main road through there was moved from 30 feet to the south to maybe 25 feet to the north either in the late 70s to early-mid 80s. That would mean these either grew really fast or found a way to not get cut down during a road build. Lucky them.

PS: They did have cones actually. I don't know if I have pictures or not.
Last edited by Climbatree813 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:16 pm

Climbatree,

I agree, those aren't the biggest balsam firs you've seen... because they're not balsam fir. The trees do bear some general resemblance to balsam fir in their pyramidal form and needles arising individually from the twigs, but if you take a closer look you'll see some subtler differences. The needles on your trees are pointed rather than rounded at the ends, the needles don't have a pair of white lines (stomatal bands) on the underside, and the limbs turn up at the tips rather than lying in a flattened plain. Cones would be an obvious difference, but it looks like you didn't have any to work with. Your trees are spruce, probably Norway spruce.

Jess

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Climbatree813 wrote:Wow I am screwing up the ID's lately. I use a native species guide most of the time and I hit one that is a non-native and I trip up. I guess it is part of the learning process.
Riley,

Don't be discouraged, like you said it's definitely part of the learning process. I've never been to Minnesota, and am looking forward to more posts/photos from your neck of the woods.

I've found some resources by Don Leopold to be especially helpful, specifically his ID book focusing on the trees of the central hardwood forests, his dendrology textbook and his videos on youtube. Visiting arboretums with labelled trees can also be helpful, even though sometimes they can be wrong. My goal when learning a new species is to get familiar enough with it that I recognize it just like seeing an old friend.

Matt

George Fieo

Post by George Fieo » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:36 pm

Matt,

Here's my nomination for balsam fir.

Species (Scientific): Abies balsamea
Species (Common): Balsam fir
Height (ft): 102.7
CBH (ft): 8
Maximum Spread (ft): 42
Average Spread (ft): 40.5
Volume (ft3):
Site Name: The Laurels Preserve
Subsite Name:
State or Province: Pennsylvania
Property Owner: Brandywine Conservancy
Date of Measurement: 11/20/2013
NTS Measurer(s): George Fieo
Method of Height Measurement: Sine Top-Sine Bottom with handheld Nikon 440 laser rangefinder, Brunton clinometer.
Tree Name:
Habitat: Forest
Notes: Planted specimen outside of native range at an elevation of 105'.
8' x 102.7' Balsam fir.
8' x 102.7' Balsam fir.
Bark with sapsucker holes.
Bark with sapsucker holes.
Underside of needles.
Underside of needles.
George

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:13 pm

George,

That's awesome, over 100' on a balsam fir. That's significant!

Pennsylvania impresses again. Great tree!

Matt

Return to “Tree of the Week”