What Species ID?

Forums discussing individual tree species, tree families across their range, and tree identification questions & guides.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

TN_Tree_Man

What Species ID?

Post by TN_Tree_Man » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:07 pm

NTS,

I recently found 2 of these trees and am trying to pin point the species identification. I am suspecting a cultivar of Mulberry (Morus) but am not sure. Both trees have been planted within a mountain chalet property. What do you think?

Steve Springer
Attachments
Alternate leaf arrangement; notice that juvenile and mature leaves are shaped the same
Alternate leaf arrangement; notice that juvenile and mature leaves are shaped the same
Left image is backside, right is topside
Left image is backside, right is topside
Orange-brownish fissured bark
Orange-brownish fissured bark
12102009 041.jpg
"One can always identify a dogwood tree by it's bark."

Will Blozan

Re: What Species ID?

Post by Will Blozan » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:20 pm

Looks like some freak-show Morus alba to me...

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:32 pm

Steve,

I'm guessing you're right about mulberry. I think it's white mulberry; it's a pretty common species in upstate NY, normally growing among "waste" or "hedgerow" species like boxelder, black willow, and cottonwood. I've seen a lot of variation in leaf shape (lobed & non-lobed; toothed and non-toothed) even on the same tree. The bark seems to stay pretty consistent, though, and seems to be dead-on from what's in your photo. I sometimes confuse mulberry with osage orange, which has similar bark but more consistently formed non-lobed leaves (and thorns, of course). If your tree is mulberry, hopefully it gets some kind of care or at least avoids the saw, because they make a good shade tree and the berries are edible. There's my two cents-hope it helps.

Will seems to have beaten me to the punch. Oh well, at least we're in agreement.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Chris

Post by Chris » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:58 pm

IIRC, the various mulberries hybridize a lot [both in wild and through humans].

TN_Tree_Man

Post by TN_Tree_Man » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:50 am

All, thanks for the input. I have noticed leaf shape variability in Paper mulberry (M. papyrifera) but not on White. Both trees are identical and have been planted so this is the reason for my suspicion regarding a cultivated variety. (I'm hopeful that Steve Galehouse will weigh in on a guess from the horticulture side)
If your tree is mulberry, hopefully it gets some kind of care or at least avoids the saw
Elijah-one of the trees has been planted directly under the power line (my professional interest) requiring a minimal clearance trim and should not be severely disfigured. Both trees could use a crown cleaning prune (my personal interest).

Hopefully the property owners will render appropriate care for both trees but this particular chalet is a rental so we shall see.

Steve Springer
"One can always identify a dogwood tree by it's bark."

Return to “Tree Species, Families and Identification”