Quercus bicolor??

Forums discussing individual tree species, tree families across their range, and tree identification questions & guides.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

eliahd24

Quercus bicolor??

Post by eliahd24 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:33 am

Hi ENTS,
I've been exploring an exceptional floodplain forest on a tributary of Peachtree Creek here in Atlanta and have found an oak species that I need help IDing. My best guess is Quercus bicolor- Swamp White Oak (see leaf pic). It has fairly light colored bark that is slightly flaky, but nothing like Q. alba. It's on the edge of a floodplain, but it's the only one of it's kind there and it's on the edge of a person's backyard, so it could have been planted. Well over 100' tall and probably 9'+ CBH. If it is Quercus bicolor it will be a state champ by a LOT. My main hesitation is that most field guides show GA as being well beyond the normal range for this species...
~Eli
Q. bicolor?
Q. bicolor?

Rand

Re: Quercus bicolor??

Post by Rand » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:02 am

The bark and habitat makes it sound like Swamp Chestnut Oak, Quercus michauxii. The leaves look a little off though.

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:03 am

Doesn't look like Quercus bicolor leaf, at least what's in the northeast. The crown form of Q. bicolor is unique, photos would help. Not saying that its a white oak but it's closer to Q. alba than bicolor.
-AJ

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:05 am

I'll get some additional pix. Also the leaf undersides are quite fuzzy.

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:13 am

It looks different than the typical Quercus Alba. Maybe it is a hybrid of two different oak types?
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:55 am

Here is a photo of typical swamp white oak foliage, showing the shallower lobes and glossier upper leaf surface compared to white oak.
Swamp white oak foliage.jpg
and another of the form of the tree
Swamp+white+oak+103.jpg
I agree with Rand that the first sample is probably swamp chestnut oak.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:35 pm

I'm leaning towards hybrid... i'll post the new pix tomorrow.

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:27 pm

I agree with Randy, Andrew and Steve that it is not swamp white oak, Quercus bicolor. As you and James suggest, it seems likely to be a hybrid...Most likely between Q. alba and Q. michauxii (Q. x beadlei according to Miller and Lamb in Oaks of North America).

Doug

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:01 pm

Eli,

Any reason you have ruled out Q. michauxii?? Sounds like a perfect fit. Bark of the species is nearly a match for "classic" white oak. Q. bicolor is not much at all like white oak- more like Q. macrocarpa.

Will

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:51 am

Okay guys,
I'm really leaning towards a hybrid now, based on other oaks present and the leaf litter. Will- I did think about Q. michauxii, but the leaf structure is different than others of the species in Atlanta. There are other Q. michauxii specimen around the area though. Now I think it may be a cross between Q. alba x Q. michauxii, which is apparently known as Q. bealei or "Beale Oak". See additional pic's and lemme know what y'all think.
crown shot
crown shot
Oak hybrid- Beale?
Oak hybrid- Beale?
oak leaf variation
oak leaf variation
Do we maintain data on hybrid species in any ENTS databases?
~Eli

Return to “Tree Species, Families and Identification”