Chinkapin Oak Database

Matt Markworth

Chinkapin Oak Database

Post by Matt Markworth » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:21 pm

NTS,

I have started a spreadsheet focused solely on the great chinkapin oak: http://www.ents-bbs.org/blog.php?u=815

Included are my own measurements, along with measurements that have been posted on the various NTS sites. The list currently stands at 61 trees. I may have missed some trees, so please review the list and let me know if you've measured any other chinkapin oaks. The list is currently sorted by measurer. Please let me know if you have additional information for the various fields in the list.

Chinkapin oak is fairly common in this part of Ohio and very common down in the Kentucky Bluegrass, so I'm well-positioned geographically to measure more trees for the list. My next list is going to be for blue ash, and after that blue spruce.

Here are the columns:

Form (Forest-grown or Open-grown)
CBH (ft)
Height (ft)
Average Spread (ft)
State/Province
Site
Date
Measurer(s)
Notes
Reference (Link to the original report)
Photo Links

Current top 10 heights in the list:
top 10 height.JPG
top 10 height.JPG (25.29 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
Current top 10 girths in the list:
top 10 girth.JPG
top 10 girth.JPG (24.37 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
The second tab of the spreadsheet shows the long-term goal:
long-term goal.JPG
Open-grown chinkapin oak:
chinkapin oak.jpg
I know of some more sites near me with chinkapin oaks so the list will be expanding soon. Please let me know if you have additional trees as well. Thanks!

Matt

Matt Markworth

Re: Chinkapin Oak Database

Post by Matt Markworth » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:11 pm

NTS,

Similar to the Inner Bluegrass Region of Kentucky, the Nashville Basin also has an abundance of very old open-grown chinkapin oaks and it was a real treat to see/measure some of them recently. Big open-grown specimens of chinkapin oak, bur oak, white oak, and Shumard oak dot the landscape and unless you've got lots and lots of time to see the whole city, I'd recommend seeing the Grand Ole Oaks of Nashville over the Grand Ole Opry any day.

Chinkapin Oaks in and around Nashville
17.7' x 87'
16.85' x 72'
15.4' x 77.5'
14.8' x 83.5'
14.65' x 58'
14.5' x 76.5'
11.45' x 64.5'

I love the old, gnarly crowns of these trees. The last photo is a tree that was not measured, but maybe next time. It's the biggest one of all and I'd estimate CBH to be over 20'.
17.7' x 87'
17.7' x 87'
17.7' x 87'
17.7' x 87'
15.4' x 77.5'
15.4' x 77.5'
16.85' x 72'
16.85' x 72'
unmeasured chinkapin oak
unmeasured chinkapin oak
Chinkapin Oak Database: http://www.ents-bbs.org/blog.php?u=815

Matt

mdavie

Post by mdavie » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:03 pm

I love chinkapin oaks. Certainly one of my favorites. I may have some measurements of that last tree, is that the one on Caldwell?

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:13 pm

Michael,

Yep! That's the one. If you have measurements that would be super cool.

Also, thanks again for the assist while I was in Nashviile. I would have missed the ones farther down Granny White.

Matt

DwainSchroeder

Post by DwainSchroeder » Sun May 01, 2016 7:15 pm

Hi Matt,

My computer is a little stubborn so I can't seem to open up your list. But I just wanted to be sure that you include the big Chinkapin Oak growing in Goll Woods north of Archbold Ohio. There are several large Chinkapins there but I believe the biggest is along a trail maybe a couple hundred yards south of the main entrance. It's an impressive tree, not the biggest girth in the world, but it has a long clear trunk and is a classic deep woods tree.

Dwain Schroeder

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Mon May 02, 2016 6:39 pm

DwainSchroeder wrote:Hi Matt,

My computer is a little stubborn so I can't seem to open up your list. But I just wanted to be sure that you include the big Chinkapin Oak growing in Goll Woods north of Archbold Ohio. There are several large Chinkapins there but I believe the biggest is along a trail maybe a couple hundred yards south of the main entrance. It's an impressive tree, not the biggest girth in the world, but it has a long clear trunk and is a classic deep woods tree.

Dwain Schroeder
Dwain,

Very cool, thanks for the heads up. I'd definitely like to see Goll Woods some day. So far I just have one tree on the list from there, which is a 10.65' CBH tree measured by Will in 2007.

Lately I've mostly been spending time in the Darby Plains west and southwest of Columbus, but I'll have to get up to NW Ohio some time again. I really enjoyed Oak Openings when I was there in 2013.

Matt

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue May 03, 2016 6:35 am

Matt,

Tomorrow Monica and I head to the Adirondacks. In the Lake Champlain Valley, there are many, many large chinkapin oaks. They are common. I'll make an effort to add to the database.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Tue May 03, 2016 9:38 am

Chinkapin Oak Database: http://www.ents-bbs.org/blog.php?u=815

I can't see anything under this except old 2013 blog posts.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Tue May 03, 2016 3:51 pm

Lucas, Dwain,

Thanks for the heads up on the technical issue. Looks like at some point I accidentally deleted the blog entry with my spreadsheets, but it let me undelete it. Now they should show as an edit in the first blog entry.

Matt

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Tue May 03, 2016 5:43 pm

dbhguru wrote:Matt,

Tomorrow Monica and I head to the Adirondacks. In the Lake Champlain Valley, there are many, many large chinkapin oaks. They are common. I'll make an effort to add to the database.

Bob
Cool, thanks Bob! I'm surprised at times how common they really are. In some of my recent outings I've noticed a lot of them around Cincinnati, OH, Lexington, KY and Nashville, TN.

Matt

Return to “Special Lists”