Matt Markworth

Re: Bur Oak Database

Post by Matt Markworth » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:33 pm

bbeduhn wrote:Matt,
I have just one for you.

Bur Oak 117.7' 1/5/13

Biltmore Estate, near visitor center
Asheville, NC

This is the NC state champ, listed at 140' in height.
Cool, thanks Brian. Do you happen to know if it's the same tree measured by Will in 2004?

Here's his report:

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/fieldt ... estate.htm

Matt

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:59 am

Yes, it is. I need to throw the tape on it. I still have a section of forest to measure at Biltmore so I'll get a few girths as well when I'm there.

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:02 pm

bbeduhn wrote:Yes, it is. I need to throw the tape on it. I still have a section of forest to measure at Biltmore so I'll get a few girths as well when I'm there.
Cool, thanks. One last question, is the bur oak open-grown or forest-grown?

Matt

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:02 pm

All,

The Bur Oak Database is currently up to 62 trees (requires login): http://www.ents-bbs.org/blog.php?u=815

There are some more around town that I need to measure so it will be growing again soon.

Here's a map showing the approximate location of the trees, along with a rough sketch of part of the bur oak range. It's a good way for me to visualize which areas need measured the most (although for this species I don't think any area has been heavily measured). If we get some measurements in Canada, Texas, etc, then I can expand the map to include the full range.
bur oak range 2.jpg
Here are the top 20 girths on the list. It's no surprise that the big boys at the top are open-grown.
qmcbh.JPG
Lastly, here are the 7 tallest trees on the list. It's no surprise that they're all forest-grown. We haven't measured a lot of tall bur oaks, but I get the sense that 120'+ represents what can be considered significantly tall for the species. Once we've measured a lot more trees, it will be interesting to see what parts of the range can support the tall ones.
qm-ht.JPG
qm-ht.JPG (24.64 KiB) Viewed 1232 times
Matt

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:50 pm

Matt,

On my next trip to Lake Champlain, you can be assured that I'll be looking for bur oak. There are some,mand there are lots of chinkapin oaks. They are abundant - and large, especially for that far north.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:52 pm

dbhguru wrote:Matt,

On my next trip to Lake Champlain, you can be assured that I'll be looking for bur oak. There are some,mand there are lots of chinkapin oaks. They are abundant - and large, especially for that far north.

Bob
Cool, thanks Bob! Can't wait to see how chinkapin oak does up that way. Around Cincinnati chinkapin oak is more abundant than bur oak, but bur has the size advantage.

Matt

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:09 pm

Matt,

Here are updated dimensions for the Willard Memorial Chapel bur oak, from this morning:

Height: Unchanged
CBH: 12'9"
Crown Spread: Maximum, 95.5', Avg., 87.25'

NY has many larger bur oaks, but most are on private land in the middle of fields, with little or no access. The town of Canton, NY, has a very nice tree that I'll make sure to measure when I get a chance. I pass by it regularly, and it's probably the biggest tree in the downtown area.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:42 pm

ElijahW wrote:Matt,

Here are updated dimensions for the Willard Memorial Chapel bur oak, from this morning:

Height: Unchanged
CBH: 12'9"
Crown Spread: Maximum, 95.5', Avg., 87.25'

NY has many larger bur oaks, but most are on private land in the middle of fields, with little or no access. The town of Canton, NY, has a very nice tree that I'll make sure to measure when I get a chance. I pass by it regularly, and it's probably the biggest tree in the downtown area.

Elijah
Elijah,

Awesome, thanks! Good to see the tree putting on girth over the last few years. I updated the spreadsheet and also added the two trees I measured this morning: http://www.ents-bbs.org/blog.php?u=815.

Matt

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:19 pm

Matt --- One from Big Oak Tree State Park back in 2009. Forest grown CBH- 18' 2" Height- 132.39' Crown Spread- 78' x 98.5' Larry
Attachments
DSC03141.JPG
DSC03139.JPG

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:54 pm

Thanks Larry! That full tree photo you took is amazing. I love the crown on that tree. I've got it at the top of the height list for bur oak and it's awesome that your height measurement and Bob's height measurement were so close. It's a great testament to the repeatability of the sine method.

Matt

Return to “Special Lists”