Bur Oak Database

Matt Markworth

Re: Bur Oak Database

Post by Matt Markworth » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:27 pm

All,

The list is up to 75 trees. Turner sent me a few and I measured these 5 trees in Lindner Park (Norwood, OH) today. It's an old estate and it's likely that all of these trees are planted.

bur oak
15'6" x 93' x 113.5' (max spread: 128')
14'6.5" x 94.5' x 110.6'
13'2" x 98.4' x 91' (CBH includes vines)
11'5.5" x 96.5'
14'1"
15'6" x 93' x 113.5'
15'6" x 93' x 113.5'
Bur Oak Database: http://www.ents-bbs.org/blog.php?u=815

Matt

mdavie

Post by mdavie » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:25 pm

Next time I'm in Nashville I'll remeasure some of the ones in my old neighborhood; I think there are five over five feet dbh on my old block, though one is dead and still standing (I don't know why they haven't cut it down yet, but whatever)

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:55 pm

mdavie wrote:Next time I'm in Nashville I'll remeasure some of the ones in my old neighborhood; I think there are five over five feet dbh on my old block, though one is dead and still standing (I don't know why they haven't cut it down yet, but whatever)
Awesome, thanks! That one you measured on the golf course down there is a beast. I definitely want to get down to the Nashville Basin sometime and check out the bur oaks, chinkapin oaks, and blue ashes.

Matt

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:36 pm

Today I measured a planted specimen on the grounds of Snug Harbor Cultural Center and Botanical Garden on Staten Island (NYC), NY (your first entry from the big apple, perhaps?). 77.6' tall, 8.8' cbh. Not particularly old looking, vigorous crown with apical dominance. No native presence here, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are some other nice specimens in other parks and botanical gardens around the city.

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:52 pm

Erik,

Very cool, thanks! Yep, definitely the first from the Big Apple. If you find any more of them I'd be very interested to see what the measurements are and get them added into the list.

With your NYC tree and the ones I measured in Lexington, KY on Saturday we're up to 80 trees. I know of some more in OH and KY that need measured and along with any trees that others submit 100 trees is within reach.

Matt

Bur Oak Database: http://www.ents-bbs.org/blog.php?u=815

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:54 pm

Matt,

here are some bur oak measurements that I've made.
MI Bur Oaks.xls
(261.5 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
I know I've made more but I can't seem to find them at this time. I'm especially bummed about all the ones I've made in Ontario from some nice trees. I'll eventually remeasure them anyway. Unfortunately I rarely had time to measure the many state champions that I've visited. I usually only had time to collect acorns. The one exception is the Texas state champion but I only made one crown spread measure for that tree and I don't fully trust the height due to the leaves on the tree at the time of measurement.

Here are three pictures of the bur oak from Metro Parkway in Michigan. I don't know the exact location as I was taken to this tree by Dave (seen in picture). I'll try and get better location info for this tree.
BurOak1.jpg
Bur Oak 2.jpg
Bur Oak 3.jpg
Doug

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:55 pm

Doug,

Thanks! Wow, that Metro Parkway bur oak is a dandy. It's also cool to see lots of MI trees in the 12' - 13' CBH range. These trees push the total for the list up above 100 trees, which is a nice milestone. Also, thanks for putting them into the same spreadsheet format. That made it extremely easy to copy the information over.

I had 4 trees on the list from Lower Huron Metropark measured by Will in 2004. Based on approximate expected CBH growth from 2004 to 2011, it looks like 3 or 4 of those trees might be trees you measured in 2011. I created a new tab at the bottom of the spreadsheet entitled Possible Duplicate Trees and moved the 4 trees to that tab to prevent the possibility of the same tree showing up twice in the main tab.

Michigan and Ohio are now tied for the most trees on the list with each state having 27 trees. Those states always seem to get into a rivalry about something:) Kentucky comes in third with 14 trees.

Michigan is a bit of a drive for me so thanks again for sharing these measurements. I'll keep measuring them in Ohio and Kentucky, and I'll probably venture over to Indiana to measure some bur oaks as well.

Matt

Link to Bur Oak Database: http://www.ents-bbs.org/blog.php?u=815

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:01 pm

NTS,

This bur oak resides in Nashville and is the same tree reported on by Michael Davie quite a few years ago. The tree has put on some girth and a little bit of height (1.5', a testament to the repeatability of the sine method) coming in at 23.2' x 88.5'.

I was considering what adjectives to use for describing the tree and then I realized that this tree has no problem speaking for itself...
bbbur1.jpg
bbbur2.jpg
Link to Bur Oak Database: http://www.ents-bbs.org/blog.php?u=815

Matt

wisconsitom

Post by wisconsitom » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:53 pm

Matt, that big guy looks like it has possibly had fill placed around it. Could also be an artifact of the photo but it looks "telephone poled" to me. That will shorten up whatever lifespan it's got left-considerably.

But the real reason I'm chiming in here is to ask-have you guys gone after Schuettes oaks, insofar as measuring? This naturally-occurring hybrid of burr and swamp white oaks is an amazing tree in its own right. First described from near Wausau, Wisconsin, I find that here in the Fox Valley area of that same state, nearer to Green Bay, most of the big burrs are in fact this hybrid.

I'm also planting fifty of them at a stormwater site this spring. Looking forward to that.

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:33 pm

wisconsitom wrote:Matt, that big guy looks like it has possibly had fill placed around it. Could also be an artifact of the photo but it looks "telephone poled" to me. That will shorten up whatever lifespan it's got left-considerably.
Tom,

I think you're correct that it's appearance was an artifact of the first two photos. I've included a better view of the base showing a more normal flare.

I haven't measured the hybrid you mentioned, but maybe someone else has had the opportunity. There is one particular tree I saw this winter that could be a hybrid, but I'll check it again this spring when I can see more characteristics.
bur oak base.jpg
Matt

Return to “Special Lists”