Black Birch Measurements

dbhguru

Black Birch Measurements

Post by dbhguru » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi Ents,

For the newly launched black birch project, 53 trees have been measured thus far located on 3 sites: Broad Brook in Florence and Trout Brook and Todd Mtn in MTSF. The average is 89 feet with a low of 75 feet and a high of 107. A total of 29 out of the 53 birches exceed 90 feet. Two exceed 100 (107 and 102.4). I didn't find the top for most of these trees. I have no feel for what I may have missed, but I expect an average of 2 or 3 feet.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: Black Birch Measurements

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi Bob- Nice project. Not being familar with the Black Birch I looked it up and read about its native range. I also stumbled upon this link-thought you might find it interesting. http://extension.unh.edu/articles/Biggest-Black-Birch Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Larry,

Thanks for the link. If you go to the champion tree listing for New Hampshire (the PDF file), take a look at the height column. Look at American elm, bigtooth aspen, N. red oak, silver maple, yellow birch, pignut hickory, honey locust, and red pine. We see why there has to be a National Cadre.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:02 pm

Ents,

Today I met Ray Asselin, Bill Finn, and Barbara Bosworth at Mount Tom State Reservation to look at an area on the western side of the mountain. From a previous trip, Ray and Bill believed the black birches and some of the hemlocks to be exceptional. Well, they were right. I measured 19 black birches today with heights ranged from 70.7 to 100.5 feet. The average for the 19 trees is a surprising 90.3 feet. That is very impressive, equalling what I have for Mohawk. Maximum girth for the 19 is 7.3 feet. One tree measures 98.1 feet and does it with a trunk only 3.9 feet around. This Mount Tom site will require many more visits. Ray will have images in a day or two for us.

For the black birch project, I am up to 75 trees now measured at 4 sites. The average height is 89.2 feet, with a low of 70.7 feet and a high of 107. Fifty-six percent of the trees reach heights of 90 feet or more. Eighty-five percent reach 80 feet or more. Four percent reach 100 feet. One hundred percent reach 70 feet or more. Remember that we are picking out sites where black birch are performing well. We can find sites where the average height would be on the order of 65 feet or there about.

Andrew Joslin and Doug Bidlack have pitched in and will contribute data from eastern Massachusetts. We will eventually tell the story of this species in the Bay State.

Brian Beduhn,

Any chance of digging up your black birch data?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:46 pm

Ents,

Ray Asselin's superb images to go with the previous post on the Mount Tom birches.

First, two shots show Bill Finn
MTTom-BB-BillFinn-2.jpg
MountTom-BB-BillFinn.jpg
Black birch and yours truly
MtTom-BB-Bob.jpg
Black birches are beautiful people
MTTom-BB-LookingUp.jpg
MtTom-BB-Blue.jpg
I'm sure others of you have excellent black birch images. Please share.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:32 pm

Bob,
I found just three over 110' and 14 more from 100' to 110'.

Foothills/Jocassee Gorges Area

Whitewater River 107.5' 102.4'

Eastatoe Gorge 102.3' 101.0'

Walhalla Hatchery 101'+

Chattooga River 90.0' 90.2' 103.5'

Laurel Fork 105.6' 98.9' 93.9'

Smokies

Meigs Mtn. 104.9' 99.4'

Ramsey Cascades 111.1'

Cataloochee bushwhack 114.0' 110.2'

Other Areas

Florence Nature Preserve 101.0'+

Montreat Trails 86.4'

Kitzuma 108.0' 101.0' 100.2' (likely more)

Elk Pen (Big Ivy) 99.0' 93.7'

Craven Gap (MTS) 85.5'
Chattoga Black birch
Chattoga Black birch

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:00 pm

Brian,

Thanks a lot. Your 24 trees adds substantially to the growing dataset. I added 14 more trees to my sample this afternoon, which now stands at 91. The heights range from 70.1 to 107.0 feet with the average now at 88.7 feet. I have 4 trees over 100 feet.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:11 pm

Ents,

While Monica and I were in Plattsburgh, NY, the unstoppable team of Ray Asselin and Bill Finn continued combing Mount Tom for outstanding black birches. Take a look at this one as photographed by Ray.
MtTomBigBlackBirchBillFinn.jpg
Its girth is 9 ft 1", making it the largest single-trunk black that we know of on Mount Tom. Its height must await Sparky's proclamation. Next week will black birch week as we continue measuring and recording them in an attempt to portray the blacks as they exist in their maturity.

The species raises the question of what constitutes an adequate portrayal of a species's dimensions across its natural range. I expect that the black birch's height, maximum and average trails off fairly rapidly as we travel a couple degrees of latitude north of northern border of Massachusetts, but how quickly, I don't know. As we accumulate more data, I expect what we accept as an adequate description of a species dimensions will grow. In time, we can develop standards - maybe.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:15 pm

Ents,

A quick update. Our total number of black birches measured since the start of the BB project is 127 (Mass = 98, North Carolina = 24, Pennsylvania = 5). The maximum height in the sample is 115 feet and the minimum is 67.5. The average is 91.2 feet.

I took the maximum height listed for the species from 30 Internet and tree guide sources and averaged them. The result is 73 feet. There is very little original data. Most are repeats. No surprise there.

Before the project ends, I hope we can collect at least 500 heights located in a half a dozen states or more. Andrew Joslin and Doug Bidlack have promised to help with data from eastern Massachusetts. Brian Beduhn has promised more data from North Carolina, and Matt Markworth for Ohio.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:24 pm

Ents,

Today, I added 12 more black birches to the list to bring the Massachusetts total to 110, and the grand total to 139. The birches grow in Look Park, Northampton, MA. The average height is 81.4 feet with a range of 66.5 to 90.4 feet. The Mass average now stands at 87.4 feet and the overall average at 90.3 feet. Tomorrow, Bill Finn, Ray Asselin, and I will return to Mount Tom and measure more birches on a different section of the mountain.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Return to “Special Lists”