Learning to Climb

Discussions of tree climbing, climbing techniques, and canopy explorations.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Matt Markworth

Learning to Climb

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:43 pm

NTS,

Suspended high above the ground underneath the majestic canopy of a willow oak known as Sueño, nothing was in my grasp to orient myself, and I was drifting in slow circles as if in space...until I reached out and grabbed the hand of my climbing partner. This is a small example of my experience that tree climbing is as much about the people as it is about the trees. I witnessed that firsthand at last year's Tree Climbers International/NTS joint rendezvous and it certainly holds true now that I've had the experience of being up in the trees myself.

Why did I want to learn how to climb trees with a rope and saddle? To get to know the trees better. To add another method to my height measuring toolbox. And to be a part of the wonderful tree climbing community. The trees have certainly given me a lot, and I hope that in time I'll be able to give back to them in equal measure.

It was an immense honor to be trained by the Father of recreational tree climbing/Tree Climbers International Founder Peter Treeman Jenkins and by instructor-in-training Erika Muñoz, who is the Director of Trekana in Chile. I have a firm grasp on the basics including setting lines, tying the knots and moving around in the tree with the double rope end climbing technique. My next step is to go through the TCI online basics course to solidify my knowledge.

It was also an immense honor to be able to hang out with Patty Jenkins. Such great conversation and I can’t say enough about her hospitality. Thanks Patty! In addition, if you ever take training with TCI, I highly recommend staying in the guest house. It’s a very peaceful, calming place with beautiful surroundings and is in a very nice neighborhood in Atlanta.

After getting my gear and after the Colorado trip, I’ll definitely be doing some climbing. Until then, I will have to settle with practicing knots in my front yard:)
My highly advanced technique of moving a throwline farther down a branch:)
My highly advanced technique of moving a throwline farther down a branch:)
in Sueño
in Sueño

Matt

Don

Re: Learning to Climb

Post by Don » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:10 pm

Matt-
Now there's a challenge well met!
Will you be the first to fire a laser from top down to base?
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:22 pm

Matt- Good job, Awesome! I have climbed a few trees with ladders and tree stands to 40'. I will climb with some of our climbing members the next chance I get. I can't wait to climb one to 100' plus! Larry

pdbrandt

Post by pdbrandt » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:23 pm

Welcome to the world of recreational tree climbing, Matt! I hope to climb with you someday.
Patrick

Return to “Tree Climbing”