Why I Climbed Trees & What I Learned

Discussions of tree climbing, climbing techniques, and canopy explorations.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Thu May 12, 2011 1:26 pm

By paulag | May 11, 2011
http://www.thepaulagcompany.com/blog/pe ... i-learned/
IMG_1456-225x300.jpg
IMG_1456-225x300.jpg (32.5 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
I recently had the honor of spending a few days in the company of some fabulous women in rural Kentucky to climb trees as part of a business retreat. Why the heck would I do this you ask? Well, besides the fact that I would do just about anything to be in the presence of people I truly consider family in the deepest sense of the word, the reason I did this was because the opportunity to experience something new and grow beyond what I think is possible for myself was presented to me. I’ve learned that the fastest path to growth, loving my precious moments on this earth, and avoiding regrets is to say YES to living fully. ...
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

jamesrobertsmith

Re: Why I Climbed Trees & What I Learned

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Thu May 12, 2011 8:03 pm

First time I saw tree climbers was in a walk through the now-wrecked Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest. This was in the days when it was still in good shape. But they were allowing some kind of outfit to sell tree climbs for a fee. While I was there dozens of jackasses were in the poplars and limbs were shaking like crazy and leaves (it was summer) were shedding all over the place. It was horrible. One of the professional climbers approached me and tried to sell me a tree climb. I told him I wasn't interested but kept my most negative thoughts to myself. I kept waiting for limbs to snap--it was obvious to me that some of the limbs were under a huge amount of stress.

I just don't have any desire to get into tree climbing. I understand that it's important for some trees to be climbed for scientific measurements and for tree care, but beyond that I don't care to see it happen. North American trees did not evolve with 200-lb primates scurrying around in them.

Return to “Tree Climbing”