Roadside rest stops and stuff

Discussions of other biomes and ecosystems that are not forested. This includes deserts, prairies, swamps, and marshes.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Roadside rest stops and stuff

Post by dbhguru » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:25 am

ENTS,

Who says roadside rest stops can't be aesthetic. Here is an image from one on New York's Southern Tier Expressway.
NYRestStop3Small.jpg
Here is another image of the same rest stop.
NYRestStop1Small.jpg
And finally, a shot of Monica at the rest stop.
NYRestStop4Small.jpg
I had not gotten back into eastern big tree mode at the time of these images. My mind was still wandering the prairies. I'm still partly in western mode. That is why I sought meadow shots yesterday in Mohawk. Big bluestem anyone?
UpperMeadow2Small.jpg
And one for the road. Monica and I are off to Tanglewood.
UpperMeadow1Small.jpg
Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Re: Roadside rest stops and stuff

Post by James Parton » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:43 am

Bob,

Meadows have their place too. Your shots remind me of the meadows in the pink beds. Monica really highlights the shots!

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:26 am

James,

Over the 6,600 miles of driving we did, we stopped at lots of designated rest spots. I've developed a mental list of states that do well with their official rest areas. For example, Iowa does exceedingly well. They seem to be making some kind of statement. Whatever it is, it works for me. I actually look forward to Iowa rest stops. NY and PA have many nice rest stops. NY often features areas of wildflowers. They have some progressive folks in the DOT.

Once could almost do a study of rest stops, to what end I'm not quite sure, but it could be revealing. One thing I know is that Massachusetts sucks! Michigan does very well. The areas that suffer from human congestion usually have lousy rest stops.

Throughout our travels, I took notice of how many people just wandered around the green areas looking at flowers and trees. The answer may be surprising -- only Monica and me. People walked their dogs, but without any obvious signs of noticing the natural features around them. I suppose it is a sign of the times, but people seem more tuned out these days than ever. That is one reason I love the wide open spaces of the West. They get me away from the public. The fewer people, the better. There are occasional exceptions. Rarely, we'll run into people at a scenic overlook who get out of their vehicles and actually notice their surroundings in an appreciative kind of way. It is soooo refreshing when it happens. Usually, we'll notice each other noticing the scenery and make small talk. There is a momentary shared feeling of appreciation. For Monica and me, this happened once in central Wyoming, once in the Tetons (no words were passed), and once in western Kansas (lots of small talk). Here I'm speaking exclusively about scenic overlooks -- not trailheads and other places where outdoors people are to be expected.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:58 pm

Bob,

North Carolina's rest stops are only mediocre. Yes, I agree. Fewer and fewer people notice the outdoors these days.

One can usually notice those types who are outdoor lovers. Often by the way they dress or by their actions. Also, take a look on the average hiking trail that the average hiker is usually in decent physical shape. Usually not overly fat. It is only one advantage of an active outdoor lifestyle.

Another thing comes to mind. I am not picking on hunters, but I often see cars with deer hunting, etc, paraphernalia on them, ether as bumper stickers or cling-on clear decals on the rear glass. I have often wonder how many of these people see anything more than the deer they hunt in their woodland environment. Can they see the forest for the deer? Hunters come in many colors. Some are nothing more than buffoons wanting to bloat their ego by making a kill. That is all that matters. And then on the other side of the spectrum there is the real outdoorsman. The hunter that sees all in the woods and repects it all as he should.

I was hoping to get out again in the high appalachians this weekend. My mother is sick today and my daughter is not feeling well. So here I sit......

James
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

Shorea

Post by Shorea » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:25 am

On the subject of more and more people out of tune with the earth and universe, I 'll say it's happening everywhere, and it's very disappointing that humans are seemingly getting "dumbed" down (more and more), as time goes by. And as such, regretfully, the future doesn't look bright for the entire human civilization. I mean when pole dancing is being introduced to 9 year old kids today, you know something ain't right...IMHO.

PS: BTW, nice pics, Bob. And James, hope your mom and daughter get well soon.

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:47 am

Thank you Shorea. My daughters problem will be short lived but my mother has cancer. It has been really hard on her. At one time she went on hikes with me, now it is really difficult for her and she can't do anything near strenuous.Cancer is a disease I would never wish on anybody.

Nope, humanity and it's morals are not what they used to be.....

James
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

Return to “Non-forested Ecosystems”