NTS Tree Climbing and Recreational Activities Group

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

NTS Tree Climbing and Recreational Activities Group

Post by edfrank » Sun May 13, 2012 9:59 am

Tree Climbing and Recreational Activities Group:

The purpose of this group is promote outreach and coordination with other groups involved in outdoor recreational activities such as recreational tree climbing, geocaching, hiking, and birding. We have many people who are recreational tree climbers. Efforts by Andrew Joslin has helped us link up with Patty Jenkins (new NTS Menber) of Tree Climbers International as a partner for future efforts. We share much in common with other outdoor enthusiasts and we hope to forge working alliances with some of these groups and attract new members from their ranks.
Chairman Andrew Joslin
joslin2a.jpg
joslin2a.jpg (14.36 KiB) Viewed 906 times
Recreational tree climber and climb facilitator. Studied with Peter Jenkins (Tree Climbing International) and Genevieve Summers (Dancing with Trees) to learn the basics of technical tree climbing and to run group climbs for beginners. Work with organizations serving urban teens in the Boston, Massachusetts area to introduce teens to technical tree tree climbing to enable them to discover new capabilities and connect with nature. Active in the national recreational tree climbing community and serving formerly on the board of GOTC (Global Organization of Tree Climbers). GOTC is an organization working to write guidelines for tree climbing instruction, safety and tree climber ethics. Lifelong interest in natural history, enjoys birding, nature photography and tree measuring.

Professional background in graphic design, currently works for IBM creating user interface for software. Studied art at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts with a focus on welded steel sculpture. Created maps and illustrations for "The Wild Trees" by Richard Preston, published in 2007.

http://vimeo.com/8652434
http://www.flickr.com/photos/naturejournal/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/naturejournal/sets/
http://www.richardpreston.net/books/wt_ ... ation.html
Vice Chair Patty Jenkins

Patty Jenkins Executive Director at Tree Climbers International, Inc.
Studied at University of Michigan.
jenkins_patty.jpg
jenkins_patty.jpg (19.16 KiB) Viewed 906 times
Tree Climbers International® (TCI) is a worldwide organization of people who love to climb trees. We do this safely and with utmost care for the trees we climb. TCI is also the world's first school for recreational tree climbers. We want the sport of "rope and saddle" tree climbing available everywhere so that everyone can experience the joy and wonder of seeing the world from the heights of the treetops!

TCI Mission Statement

Tree Climbers International, Inc. promotes tree climbing as a safe recreational activity suitable for people of all ages.

Our goals are to:

* Discover and promote technical tree climbing techniques that are safe for people and do no harm to trees.
* Provide qualified tree climbing instruction by highly-trained instructors.
* Produce and distribute educational and inspiring publications to promote safe recreational tree climbing.
* Create climbing chapters (or "groves" ) in every city, town, or hamlet worldwide.
* Hold periodic regional, national, and international tree climbing gatherings.
* Create a communication network of tree climbing enthusiasts through our website and publications.
* Locate and secure access to climbing trees suitable for recreational climbing.
* Promote respect and responsibility towards trees and the natural environment.
* Have fun exploring the high canopy while sharing adventures with like-minded people.
Vice Chairman Chris Morris

Hydrologic Technician at U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), NV; formerly Biological Science Technician, MO; MS in Geography from University of Tennessee.
chris_morris.jpg
chris_morris.jpg (39.92 KiB) Viewed 898 times
I am Chris and originally from Ohio [Great to see all the action it has been getting...saw almost to 100 ft Ohio Buckeye!]. I have lived in eastern Tennessee, Nevada, and the Ozarks of Missouri. I have also had the pleasure to have spent in total [on a few different occasions] 1.5 years traveling around the US/Canada, backpacking, birding, and seeing lots of different forest and trees.

"I understand that ENTS was started focused on tree measurements. But if the group as a whole is interested in increasing membership and, more broadly, appreciation and protection of trees, diversity in membership, skills, and interests is key. Just as every birder isn't interested in doing Christmas Bird Counts or entering data in eBird, not every tree person wants to measure trees. It seems that providing other "outlets" would attract more people. Perhaps I don't want to measure, but would like to contribute photographs to a online guide to native trees, or compute checklists, or make maps. Sure, anyone could do that now, but once it goes off the radar of being an active topic here, it will only be viewed by those specifically looking for it. But by linking photographs with measurements with descriptions, you create a synergy that increases the visibility, quality, and impact of our fun."
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

AndrewJoslin

Re: NTS Tree Climbing and Recreational Activities Group

Post by AndrewJoslin » Mon May 14, 2012 8:45 am

Thanks for setting this new NTS group up Ed!
-Andrew

pdbrandt

Re: NTS Tree Climbing and Recreational Activities Group

Post by pdbrandt » Wed May 16, 2012 3:05 pm

It's great to see the formation of this group. Count me in and put me to work!

Patrick
Patrick

Return to “Tree Climbing and Recreational Activities Group”