Recognising indigenous “sacred areas”

Discussions of the cultural conection between native American and other indigenous peoples and the natural world, places of importance to the culture, and events and dedications honoring native Americans.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Recognising indigenous “sacred areas”

Post by edfrank » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:15 am

Recognising indigenous “sacred areas” could double amount of protected land worldwide

http://blog.cifor.org/11200/recognising ... IYfs668qSp

Click on image to see its original size
HYDERABAD, India (23 October, 2012)_Recognising areas conserved by indigenous peoples could double the amount of land designated as protected worldwide, said representatives attending the Convention on Biological Diversity conference last week, as international policymakers gathering nearby puzzled over ways to bump the global area of conserved land from 12 to 17 percent within the next eight years.

Whether a grove in the Khasi hills of Northeast India from which nothing can be removed, or an Ethiopian gudo boulder surrounded by forest where shamans can summon or stop the rain, sacred areas are not only rich in biodiversity but vital to keeping communities intact.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

jamesrobertsmith

Re: Recognising indigenous “sacred areas”

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:02 pm

Anything that works to keep the developers out is fine with me.

canada yew

Post by canada yew » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:53 pm

Getting the public to respect and understand indigenous concerns and spirituality is important. And the more we get developers and planners to understand ecology and native concerns the better....
Canada Yew

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:23 pm

I have been following intently the events relating to Embridge and tar sands in Canada. There has bee a profound movement among the native peoples to prevent the oil sands people from ruining their lands. I wish them well in their efforts. I will post more about this here in a few days if someone else does not take up the task.

Edward Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Indigenous Peoples”