Mapping Ancient Cherokee Trails

Discussions of the cultural conection between native American and other indigenous peoples and the natural world, places of importance to the culture, and events and dedications honoring native Americans.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:20 pm

cherokee.JPG
cherokee.JPG (18.25 KiB) Viewed 1431 times

NTS,

There is an interesting article on the Cherokee Preservation Foundation website concerning ancient Cherokee Trails. Here is the link:
http://www.cherokeepreservationfdn.org/ ... kee-trails

Trail-Trees-at-Wiggins-Creek.jpg
Trail-Trees-at-Wiggins-Creek.jpg (14.89 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
Trail Trees at Wiggins CreekTrail

For at least a thousand years – and perhaps as many as 10,000 – the Cherokee have been masters of the mountains, using trails that often went straight uphill to move between sacred sites, commercial centers and other places in their vast homeland. Two years ago, with the first of two Cherokee Preservation Foundation grants and guidance from the Tribal Heritage Preservation Office of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians (EBCI), Wild South and its partners, Mountain Stewards and the Southeastern Anthropological Institute, started taking a journey across time. Their goal was to refind, restore and reemphasize the trail and road system of the Cherokee Nation in Western North Carolina and surrounding territory.
Trails-map-w-brown-background-large.jpg
The Cherokee Trails Project covers approximately 150 linear miles and 47,000 acres in the Pisgah, Nantahala and Cherokee National Forests containing Cherokee historical sites. Wild South Cultural Preservation Director Lamar Marshall says that what has unfolded is “clear evidence that the main arteries of our 20th century road system in the Southeast were built directly on Cherokee trails and corridors – the Cherokee developed the circuitry for modern transportation.”
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Larry Tucei

Re: Mapping Ancient Cherokee Trails

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:29 pm

Ed, Cool post! Almost every highway in the southeast was at one time an Indian route. Most of our cities and towns are where old Indian settlements were. To bad we wiped out the history of these great peoples. They were really in tune with the enviorment something I think most of us have lost. Larry

ElijahW

Re: Mapping Ancient Cherokee Trails

Post by ElijahW » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:14 pm

Ed,

Thanks for the link. That's definitely something I'll try to check out next time I get down near Cherokee. Great story.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Return to “Indigenous Peoples”