Beaver Pond Forest: Retired Algonquin Chief Robert Lovelace

Discussions of the cultural conection between native American and other indigenous peoples and the natural world, places of importance to the culture, and events and dedications honoring native Americans.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Beaver Pond Forest: Retired Algonquin Chief Robert Lovelace

Post by edfrank » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:09 pm

Latest :
Beaver Pond Forest: Retired Algonquin Chief Robert Lovelace Speaks Out at the Closing Ceremony of the Sacred Fire Queen's Park, Steve Hulaj, 14 February 2011
on 2011/2/14 3:10:00 (68 reads)

Beaver Pond Forest: Retired Algonquin Chief Robert Lovelace Speaks Out at the Closing Ceremony of the Sacred Fire Queen's Park
Steve Hulaj
13 February 2011 at 23:13

This letter should change everyone. It's why we did this...

This is an Incredible Letter from Retired Algonquin Chief Robert Lovelace - which was read today at Queens Park at the closing ceremony of the Sacred Fire - the 1st EVER fire at the Provincial Legislature. It burned 24/7 until this afternoon. Thank you Robert for it.
-----

"It is hard to see the clear-cutting of the Beaver Pond Forest in Ottawa. It is hard because so many good people have tried their best to prevent it. It is hard because this forest has a spirit. The Life in the Forest called out to those good people to help save the trees, the forest life, and the ancestral connection that it has with the Algonquin people.

But it is being clear-cut. Men, for wages, are felling the trees with dispassionate machines, piling the trees for processing, insuring that every last morsel is committed to profit. And then the ground itself will be pushed into piles, scraped into roads, excavated for foundations and sewers. This old growth forest, the archeological story it holds and the serenity it offered will be gone soon. But we have not lost this struggle.

We have not lost the struggle. The struggle to save the Beaver Pond Forest has united heroic people who understand their common concerns for mother earth. This struggle has educated us to the complexities of the battle to save the earth and as we learn we become stronger. Now is the time to renew and extend our efforts to change the culture of greed and exploitation to a culture of mutual respect for human needs and non-interference with the replenishing mechanisms and cycles of the earth.

Those who opposed us in this struggle did so out of greed, arrogance and political cowardice. Too many times, single-minded developers have taken our common heritage and turned it into market commodities, killed the natural spirit of the land, and created landscapes of self-interest, conspicuous consumption and unsustainable depreciation. Too many times, politicians promise to extend the power of the people but simply acquiesce to the power of money. Throughout this battle the real heroic people have stood together against this kind of tyranny and they will continue to work together to create change and real democracy. It is time to take back the commons from those who have corrupted both our lands and governance.

As we watch the destruction of this beautiful Forest we owe it to each other to continue to fight for every piece of mother earth. Refuse to surrender another inch.

Restore the land, its natural functions and the creatures that abide by its natural laws. Restore your own relationship with the land in how you live, where you live, what you eat, how you use energy and in your relationships with one another. And when we struggle together in the face of greed, arrogance and cowardice: heal yourself from the harm, heal others in a good way and pick yourself up and struggle again. “We shall overcome”.

Robert Lovelace
February 13, 2011
Queen’s Park
Toronto, Ontario
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

James Parton

Re: Beaver Pond Forest: Retired Algonquin Chief Robert Lovel

Post by James Parton » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:54 am

It is happening everywhere. Forests falling to development. Here in Asheville I cuss everyday seeing what was once peaceful rural communities with two lane roads now with 4 lane highways lined with businesses. The fields are gone and the forests disappearing. And the banks are profiting. What must humankind do to stop our incessent growth upon the land? Make laws limiting how many children we can have? Limit immigration? These may help but to me, people can go a long way by realizing there are things of greater value than money and that we are a part of this world instead of being separate from it. People should think " Should I cut this tree " before they do so. They should give trees the same respect that they would give an animal. You hear of groups like PETA but I have never hear of one that speaks for the trees. True, Activist groups like Greenpeace and the Sierra Club go a long way but I don't think they have quite the power or influence over the general public that PETA or the Humane Society does.

I give a big thumbs up for Robert Lovelace. He is one who obviouly cares for the land and his relationship with it. The world needs more people like him.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “Indigenous Peoples”