Max "Duramunmun" Harrison

Discussions of the cultural conection between native American and other indigenous peoples and the natural world, places of importance to the culture, and events and dedications honoring native Americans.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Max "Duramunmun" Harrison

Post by edfrank » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:47 pm

Max Harrison: Complete Interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06UpQQQ7cBM
In this complete interview, Max "Duramunmun" Harrison, an elder of the Yuin Nation of Southeast Australia, explains fundamental differences between Aboriginal and Euro-Australian worldviews. Unity and cooperation must involve understanding and respect for one another's lifestyle. But the basic Aboriginal understanding of the earth as Mother and source is undermined by a culture of consumerism, passively teaching that vegetables come from a store. Max asks, if the Mother is not understood, how can She be respected?

17 minutes
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

James Parton

Re: Max "Duramunmun" Harrison

Post by James Parton » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:24 am

Ed,

Max is a really great man and I thoroughly enjoyed his lesson here. In one of my NOD druidic lessons I learned of Dana ( Most use the name Gaia ) as a nurturing earth mother. Both in a physical way as well as a spiritual way. Dana does nurture us in ways we take for granted. Without her, they would be no us. Here, Max realizes that fact and speaks of how most people take the earth for granted.

I think most of us take going to the grocery store for granted and often forget where those products come from. They are all grown, harvested or mined from the planet we call home. We should stop once in a while and remember where it all comes from and say a prayer of thanks to God and Mother Earth for what we receive. We can show appreciation in our lifestyles. Going green, planting trees, speaking of the natural world to others, or in ENTS style, measuring and documenting forests for all to see. Or in ritual, poem or song, druid style. Whatever you do. Sing of thanks to Dana and help others see the value of education and preservation. I think Max sees this loud and clear!
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “Indigenous Peoples”