"Night of the Ginkgo" Oliver Sacks, New Yorker Magazine

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jenny

"Night of the Ginkgo" Oliver Sacks, New Yorker Magazine

Post by Jenny » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:43 am

HI!

Some nice - if not surprising to ENTS - Fall observations of the Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba) by the highly regarded writer Oliver Sacks published in the Nove. 24, 2014 New Yorker Magazine issue.

First paragraph:

"Today in New York—November 13th—leaves are falling, drifting, skittering everywhere. But there is one striking exception: the fan-shaped leaves of the ginkgo are still firmly attached to their branches, even though many of them have turned a luminous gold. One sees why this beautiful tree has been revered since ancient times."

Jenny

Links: either http://ht.ly/Eqrrb or check Te New Yorker Magazine site November 24, 2014 issue.
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

Larry Tucei

Re: "Night of the Ginkgo" Oliver Sacks, New Yorker Magazine

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:02 pm

Hi Jenny- Good to see you posting. Hope you are well and have a great Christmas. Got a great picture of a Bald Eagle on the interstate driving up to Wisconsin before Thanksgiving. He was perched in the median on a tree.
Eagle.jpg
When I spied him I turned around at the next chance and took a couple of photos from my Truck. I thought of you when I saw him. Enjoy!!! Larry

Bosque

Re: "Night of the Ginkgo" Oliver Sacks, New Yorker Magazine

Post by Bosque » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:13 pm

Hi Jenny,

I've read of ginkgo parties in autumn. Once its leaves start falling they go fast. So people pull up lawn chairs and celebrate.

Carol Diamond

Return to “Art: Literature, Poetry, and Prose”