I hung by arms as feet walked bole
One foot, knee crook--then all of me
Over the first branch of the tree.
I sat to rest and gird my soul.

Then rose to stand and look above
At rays of rungs in tiers from trunk.
I now ascended like a monk
To abbey green I grew to love.

This is another Beginning Creative Writing class poem I wrote years ago. Some of the rhymes are a stretch, and it's kind of simple minded, but I like to think that it goes from superficial competition/status stuff to a more important finding of courage and love of nature. I was "extremely shy" in school (as my third grade report card said) but all-out joyful at home in the outdoors.

Jenny

Re: Back Yard Pine

Post by Jenny » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:34 am

Very evocative. Brought back memories of climbing pines when I was a kid. I wish I could still do it. Feel so old....

Jenny
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

Bosque

Re: Back Yard Pine

Post by Bosque » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:00 pm

Jenny,

I started seeing a physical therapist occasionally ten years ago. She asked me what my goals were. The first one I gave her was to be able to climb trees again and she understood totally. I haven't been able to do it yet, but I haven't given up either. The sixth story in Robert Fulghum's It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It tells about the time he started to climb a tree in a city park and heard "Young man, this tree is occupied." A white-haired woman was high up in the tree and told him ' "Find your own tree" --friendly but quite firmly.' He later learned from a park worker that she was about 65 and was often in the trees. I'll leave the rest for you to read.

Don't give up!

Carol

Return to “Art: Literature, Poetry, and Prose”