Winslow Homer

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

jeffk

Winslow Homer

Post by jeffk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:50 pm

A nice watercolor painted by Winslow Homer in 1892 titled "Old Settlers".
Homer spent quite a few summers in the Adirondacks hunting and fishing (and painting). Looking at his paintings of the Adirondacks one gets a feel for the heavy logging activity which must have been occurring at the time (some showing entire mountainsides clear-cut). Apparently he wanted to make a statement about the true settlers of this wilderness. (note no human beings are depicted!)
The original is in the MFA in Boston.
old-settlers.jpg

Steve Galehouse

Re: Winslow Homer

Post by Steve Galehouse » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:06 pm

Jeff-

That's a really nice, evocative painting. I reminds me of a later Tom Thomson work:
Click on image to see its original size

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

jeffk

Post by jeffk » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:20 am

That is nice Steve - they both evoke the feel of the "great northern forest" in my mind.
JK

Here's another by Homer, the Adirondacks again, titled "Old Friends", 1894, in the Worcester Mass. Art Museum - needs no explanation
old-friends.jpg

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:15 pm

Jeff,

Thanks for the post. I saw the first Homer image among the orphaned attachments listing and wondered who was posting about it. Paintings like this provide some abstraction that is a break from the numbers games.

Steve,

Do you know the name of the Tom Thompson painting? On another note I have not seen any blooms here yet, but will check some of my early blooming shrubs tomorrow.

Ed Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:45 pm

Ed-

Tom Thomson's painting in the earlier post is titled "Northern River". His most well known painting is "Jack Pine":
Click on image to see its original size

He was aligned with Canadian painters known as the "Group of Seven", with Canadian Shield landscapes their emphasis. I think Thomson and Winslow Homer were likely greatly influenced by the Hudson River School of artists.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Return to “Art: Painting, Drawing, and Graphics”